A Superb write up of one man's journey to Bus 142

Here you can discuss anything relating to Alaska and this story.
SteveSalmon

A Superb write up of one man's journey to Bus 142

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:14 am

http://davekorn.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/fairbanks-bus-142/

Again, Dave thank you for writing and sharing your experience with the world.

~Steve Salmon

erikhalfacre

Re: A Superb write up of one man's journey to Bus 142

Postby erikhalfacre » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:01 am

Very talented writing!
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Husky

Postby Husky » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:48 am

Very good writing and very thoughtful.

I like his analysis of why so many Alaskans seem to denigrate Chris...

"Don’t we all have dreams stirring somewhere in our depths, untapped longings that are essential to our identity as human beings?" he writes. "Chris’ willingness to risk everything for these dreams exposes the hypocrisies that might gape in our own lives, the chasm between our dreams and our willingness to take them seriously. Considering Chris’ story forces us not only to question what forgotten dream within ourselves is important enough to risk everything for, but it also forces us to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask ourselves why we have abandoned this thing. Maybe we try to dismiss Chris McCandless with simple labels like ‘reckless’ and ‘stupid’ because this is something we don’t want to face."

I'm sure this is true for some people who have abandoned their dreams and become resentful of others. But perhaps other people belittle Chris because they have risked everything themselves to attain their dreams and have succeeded when faced with the adversity of high water in their path.

This article was also interesting to me in the simple mistakes this fellow makes along the way. Most glaring would be his over exertion and lack of restraint. He seems to be in such a hurry that he becomes exhausted and frazzled for no good reason. He notes that he is tired, wet and cold from rain and the river crossing which can lead to mild hypothermia and poor judgement. An example of poor judgement would be yelling at bears every 30 seconds along the trail but then carelessly taking granola and cheese into his sleeping tent to eat.

Still, I admire this man's effort and his honest depiction.
Here we are in the years
Where the showman shifts the gears
Lives become careers
Children cry in fear
Let us out of here! Neal Young

Don't let fear stand in the way.
There's nothing to it
but to do it! Husky

Gleedaniel13

Postby Gleedaniel13 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:44 am

That writing is very good and very appreciative. If I have an editorial company, I will surely hire the writer.
Web Design Integration

Return to “Discussions on Alaska”