Christopher's diary

Here you can comment on the book 'Into The Wild' or any other book related to the story.
Nina

Christopher's diary

Postby Nina » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:03 am

Hi, I am new here. I registered to ask you a question. I am sure it has already asked but I searched and found nothing.

Is it possible to read a reproduction of Christopher McCandless' diary ? I know there is a book written by Jon Krakauer but I think it is less authentic.

SteveSalmon

Re: Christopher's diary

Postby SteveSalmon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi Nina, I just found your question. Forgive my delayed response.
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, I'm going to assume that you are referring to Chris' journal, and if that's, in fact, what you are referring to, then your answer is yes. There is a copy of his daily journal (that was written as a log during his time on the Stampede Trail including and mostly his time at Bus 142. This can be found on the DVD "Back to the Wild" as well as the book of the same title that Chris' parents released a few months ago with new pictures etc.
I hope that helps and answers your question.

~Steve Salmon

Nina

Postby Nina » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 am

Thank you Steve !
I will read the book soon as possible !

Nina

Postby Nina » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 am

Does somebody now if Back to the will was published in french ?

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:54 am

Yes, that page is one of the best things about the "Back to the wild" book. :D
However, if you are looking for the journal Chris kept during his travels before heading for Alaska, I don't think the complete diary has been published anywhere.
You can find quite a few quotes of it in the "Into the wild" book though. Krakauer also included parts of the letters Chris wrote to Jan, Wayne or Ron.
The book "Back to the wild" shows even more of those letters, however they didn't publish ANY of Chris' diary entries, which I found a bit strange from the start (but that book is strange anyway, so...).
All in all, I think it's worth having both books to get the bigger picture.

Nina

Postby Nina » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Thank you for answering.
But doest it exist in French ? Because if it doesn't, I will try to contact the editor.

wbhssampson

Postby wbhssampson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 pm

I think Chris was different but different physiologically. He seemed as if he had depression theres different type but I don't think he was the kind to easily show there are people who run from their issues and people to confront their issues. I also believed there was a little more then just depression I think there was a little schizophrenia because he was speaking in third person in his diary. Some part of me thinks thats what Chris did when we couldn't talk to people maybe Chris was talking to his diary as if he were someone else listening to his story. :o :shock:

Return to “Discussions on the Book”