Kids

Here you can discuss anything related to Christopher McCandless.
admin
Site Admin

Kids

Postby admin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 pm

I have been involved in this story for a long time now.
What I tend to think about is kids when Chris pops into my head.

All I can say is that if you have kids, respect them.

What I mean by respect is that they will remember EVERYTHING you say to them.
If you tell them off or give a compliment to them, that stays in their memory banks.

Fortunately, or not, I am privy to some information on Chris' upbringing.
I know that he would have remembered everything that happened - as do my kids.

If I yell at them for something, they will remember that 6 months later, 12 months later, 2 years later.
At the same time, they will remember a compliment for as long as time exists.

I did not have a good relationship with my father. I started boxing when I was 10 because of fear.
I remember everytime he gave me a compliment, and there were not many, Maybe 2.

So everyday, every single day, I try and give my little boys a compliment they will remember.
I tell them EVERDAY that I love them. They need that - even if it is monotonous to say.
That is better than a bad memory.

Kids are sponges - they absorb everything. Make sure it is a good thing.
Keep them innocent - always innocent.
Adam

fredmerlin

Re: Kids

Postby fredmerlin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 am

VERY WELL SAID, Adam. Too bad alot of life is hindsight, and not many take great advice. We parents always try to do better than the previous generation. 'Doing better' though, to many means MORE money and MORE stuff.

I think Chris would have made an exceptional Father.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 am

Fredmerlin, I also think Chris would have been a great father.
Carine has overcome all sorts of challenges to be a great mother and Chris would have been no exception.

The other day when I was snow skiing with my boys I thought about Chris and that it is such a pity he didn't get to share that experience with his kids...

Face Your Fears and Live Your Dreams.

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am

The great irony here, and in many lives is just that: the perception of horrible parents. Not to belittle the actual feelings that come with real horrible parents...but, we all make mistakes. Somehow, as a parent now, I feel there's always a perceived slight. At least I can apologize to my kids when they let their feelings be known. Sometimes I can actual see that I've made a mistake. The most detrimental outcome is the blind parent, who for whatever reason cannot admit their shortcomings. We are all only human.

To be connected to this story is, for me, to learn how to be a better parent. It is such an empty feeling, however to think of Chris' life ending as it did... that he would not be able, in this lifetime, to feel parenthood. But, if it went any other way, we wouldn't be learning from it.

vdavell

Postby vdavell » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I really enjoy what has been said by Adam. The fact that you are being a postive model for your children is a good thing. Also, spending time with them is a sign of a good parent.

Return to “Discussions on Chris”