THE MEANING WITH LIFE

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
a-h

THE MEANING WITH LIFE

Postby a-h » Sat May 11, 2013 9:13 pm

There's not particulary many people active on this site, but I will do an attempt writing here anyway and maybe somebody answers.
I'm an 18 years old girl, living in Sweden. I will finish school next year, and that's all I'm waiting for. Then I will leave. Probably with my sister. We will travel out in the world. Exploring.
This idea is all I'm thinking about. Every day. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one being totally serious about this. I can't live in the society. I just can't. That's not my purpose of life. You only have one life, and when you've found out what makes you happy - shouldn't you "reach out and grab it"? Cause if I do as the society wants you to, I won't live MY life. I will live "theirs". I won't ever be happy. Getting a full-time job, get a house, start a family, work 9-5. I'm sick of it already, and I've just became an adult! Happy for me is wandering around in amazing places in the world. Breathing air at mountain tops. Eating and sleeping. Going into the wild. Talk to intresting people. People with similar mind as me. Find a true partner. Live together as we want to, not depending on the fee at work. Find happiness.
Is it somebody out there who gets what I'm saying? Who really understands? Please answer and we can email!

TyCanada

Re: THE MEANING WITH LIFE

Postby TyCanada » Fri May 17, 2013 12:04 am

I am new to these forums, but I will give it a go.

I agree with you on so many levels. I am still in High School and about to graduate, although that has not stopped me from living and traveling. I think about traveling every single day and meeting new people in new places. I switched schools because my last school was not diverse enough and I HATED the superficial rich kids. I could not take the fact that they thought popularity was "money". Therefore I switched to an inner city school where it was much better, but still the "high school" norm, still not my thing.

I want to live life the way I want too, find my own happiness. I wish a lot of people thought the way you and I do although it is sad to say it won't happen.
Get out and do what you love and what you want to do! Life is short, very short. We should cherish every day we have.
100% I agree with you!!!

crazyc133

Postby crazyc133 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Just to let all of you young high schoolers know. If you don't do it now you probably never will. Society has a way of dragging you in and keeping you there. I am 34 and trying my hardest to leave but obligations and responsibilities are a pain. I have travelled with 20 year old as well as 60 year olds and one thing I have learned is YOUNG is to be young at heart. kids are naïve about the truth out there......be careful America is not, NOT a safe place
find someone to go with for at least part of your journey
also look up work exchange programs where people will let you work 2 to 4 hours a day for lodging and food it's not glamorous but it is food :)
anyone want to seriously talk feel free to email me
crazyc1333@yahoo.com

poppyallan

Postby poppyallan » Thu May 30, 2013 8:11 pm

I completely agree with you. I am sick of waiting to begin my adventure; I'm still in Secondary/High school. I cannot wait to get my qualifications (just something I want to do: keep my parents happy) and then I'm off, living on the road, meeting interesting characters and taking in the world. I will learn much more than school could ever teach me. I hate to think in a few years society's grasp on us will have gotten tighter and I will forget the desire I feel now. However we are so acclimated to a life of comfort and I realise this and I am determined not to give in! I see so many people with their only concern being the party they are going to or their futile wishing for an iPod or something pathetic like that. I will never become one of them!

TyCanada

Postby TyCanada » Fri May 31, 2013 4:39 am

Exactly! Most High School kids are like that: they want things! I suppose most kids our age are like this, however I am not really on that spectrum. Of course there may be something here and there but it is mostly necessities I look for. We can't let "society" turn our thinking around, and I speak for people who think like us. I also get what you mean on getting a degree, it is smart to do for a netting or self assurance (and for parents sake) when traveling even if you travel with little money which is what I plan on doing.
I do try to make the best of high school, I am just so eager to get out of it and hitchhike, camp, couchsurf, travel, meet new people, see new places! It is like being born again really, you will remember the experience because it is the first time seeing and experiencing it. Although currently, it isn't so simple for a high school student to do the real traveling experience due to restrictions such as Identification, parents house, and considered being a minor :roll: .
I actually am lucky to have most of the supplies for hitchhiking and on the go due to the fact my father is an outdoors man: hiking backpack, tent, rain wear, cooking supplies, etc.. I am afraid one day my thoughts will get to me and I will get my backpack and just go for a couple days. You can definitely relate to that deep feeling for travel. A good thing to do now is planning, researching, and getting a support system: Such as forums :) .
If you haven't checked out Benjamin Jenk's blog Adventure Sauce, then make sure you check it out!! http://www.adventuresauce.com/

P.s: The media screws with your head, don't always listen to the dreadful stories. It is sad but true. You know that though! :P

bones

Postby bones » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:08 pm

I was also inspired by Into the Wild to travel, but I think part of Chris' story was not just finding you're own happiness, but helping other people too. Which is why I recommend going to college before you go on any big adventures, because it's best to go when you're young and your mind is sharp. A college education will help you to impact the world in a positive way. And remember that you don't have to hitchhike around the world to have an adventure, all you need is one day. The other day I rode my bike many miles to another town and saw interesting things and meet new people, but I was also glad to be able to come home after.

TyCanada

Postby TyCanada » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:57 pm

That is also a very good point. Yes, you may think that you don't have to hitchhike all around the world to find an adventure, however if you are deeply in love with travel then people will do it. That part is all about personal opinion. Everybody has different ways of doing things. Helping other people does make yourself happy and others happy and going to the uni will impact yourself as well.
I suppose adventure sauce is my own opinion but even before I saw Into The Wild I was involved with travel except Into The Wild inspired me to do something.

Nemo_Spirit

Postby Nemo_Spirit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi a-h..I would like to talk with you about that kind of stuff..I feel like you so i would love to hear what are your thoughts since I don't have anyone really serious to talk about that subject, I think I understand what are you talking. Can you contact me? I'm new in this, don't even know how to sent you a message. :)
Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future.

Return to “Travelling”