Travelling alone tips?

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
poppyallan

Travelling alone tips?

Postby poppyallan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 pm

I can't wait to embark on my adventure and travel just as McCandless did, however I am only a teenager at the moment and therefore have to finish school and college before being able to do what I want.
But I'd like to know what I can do in the meantime? For instance some training to prepare me for what lies ahead. Should I get in really good physical condition? How can I stay committed to leaving and keep up my passion for escape!?
I don't know if anyone feels the same, but sometimes it all gets to much and I just want to leave now. I'm so fed up of the intolerable people and expectations.
So if anyone has any tips as to what I can do to prepare for my journeys even if they will be ages away!
Thank you ever so much!

sicily4u

Re: Travelling alone tips?

Postby sicily4u » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:09 am

Whether they are on a business trip or a vacation, women traveling alone are more likely than men to encounter problems in certain cultures. These travel tips for women traveling alone can help to make women travelers feel more secure.

1. Stay alert, use common sense, and be aware of your surroundings. If you think you are being followed, step into a store or another safe place and wait to see whether the person passes by.

2. Look, act and move as though you know where you're going and what you’re doing. This will prevent you from looking like an easy target and may help you avoid potential danger.

3. Before you set out from your hotel, ask the concierge or other hotel staff for directions to the places you plan to visit each day. This will help you avoid unsafe areas and also prevent you from looking confused and potentially vulnerable.

4. Choose a hotel where security is good and public transportation or taxis are readily available and close by. Once in your room, check to make sure that all of the doors and windows have working locks.

5. It’s always best to dress conservatively and inconspicuously when traveling. Whenever possible, take your fashion cues from local women.

6. Leave all valuables, such as extra credit cards and jewelry, at home. Even costume jewelry poses an unnecessary risk to your safety, because thieves are not likely to know it’s not the real thing until after they steal it.
http://www.sicily4u.co.uk/

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Sicily4u's advice is great, IF you are travelling as a tourist, NOT as a Chris McCandless. It will be complete Nirvana when a female can embark on a journey such as Chris'. Even in the US, we are not quite 'there' yet. Maybe we are even going backwards, because Chris did a lot of hitch hiking, and I don't see any of that anymore...not that it's GOOD..but, I'm not sure if we, generally speaking, are more or less safe as solitary travelers than in the past. My advice to you, poppyallan, is to wait 'til you finish school, at least. I realize there are many pressures in doing that, but you will be far better off when you embark on your journey. You will have accomplished much, and will need and deserve a well earned 'break'. Also, you may find a suitable traveling partner within those few years. Those 'intolerable people and expectations' are a part of life. You do have more control than you realize. Please be safe in whatever you do and best of luck.

Kayleigh

Postby Kayleigh » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:46 am

poppyallan! I think sicily4u has shared nice suggestions for you and every person should follow these simple suggestions for safety and readability.
Stay alert, use common sense, and be aware of your surroundings.

I think it is more necessary to follow while you are alone during your tour.

Servicenwy

Travelling alone tips

Postby Servicenwy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:08 pm

OT & Kris, if the blue bills which you 2 were talking about is what Im thinking of, for info sake, may I ask, do you need any prescription to get that?

Return to “Travelling”