Curious!

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
poppyallan

Curious!

Postby poppyallan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:27 pm

I am in love with the story of Christopher McCandless.
It is my utter dream to visit the bus at some point during my life
However I am utterly terrified about the thought of being swept away by the river!
How can you avoid the danger, is there a safer place to cross even if it would be time consuming and add to the length of the trip?
Thanks! :)

SteveSalmon

Re: Curious!

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Poppy one alternative is to charter a helicopter. Of course understand that when you do that, you will rob yourself of the true experience.
As far as the Tek is concerned, that river changes by the hour and sometimes quicker due to all sorts of factors including the obvious: rain.
A spot that was safe to cross in the morning could very well be out of the question by lunch time so there really are no "safe places to cross".
You have to use your head and know your limitations when you cross any moving body of water, especially the mighty Teklanika. Experience
helps too. When I crossed the Tek I felt (at first) a false sense of confidence. That is until I got to the middle of it and realized it was much
deeper in the middle. That's about where I lost my cooking pot and rain jacket. But, I've told that story already.
Last summer, the Savage river was a sample of what the Teklanika had in store miles later and it was no joke.
(Along the Stampede on the way to the bus, you'll come across the Savage river first.)
Erik Halfacre has some the best videos you can find on YouTube along with a very informative website that will give you an excellent idea of
what to expect from the Stampede Trail including, but not limited to, the Teklanika River.
His website is found here- http://www.stampedetrail.info/index.php
Good luck to you.
~SS

Return to “Travelling”