aspiring tramp

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
aspiringtramp

aspiring tramp

Postby aspiringtramp » Sun May 06, 2012 3:54 pm

for years now i have wondered at the life on the open road, with no bounds to really hold me down...so to speak. untill a few years ago i had no clue that there was a phrase for what ive been wanting to do and that people actually do this. To say the least im more excited than ever to throw myself into the wild and see where it takes me...but im no where near ready yet...i hope some people will give me advise on what i should focus on studying and working on. A friend and I have decided to head out on May 18, 2013 and are running and canooing to prepare us physically ; with backpacking treks planned for the coming months. we also plan on learning basic first aid and other survival skills. What i want to know is, what should i expect in traveling Americas midwest, suggestions on what i should do to keep in shape, ideas on good books to read...anything that will help me soak up what i need to know so i can implement it effectivly when i need it.

Sir Louberttramp

Re: aspiring tramp

Postby Sir Louberttramp » Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm

I myself have struggled with the urge to go out into the world and live off the land. to test myself as many never get the chance in life to do. to truly know what you are made of as a man and to know what you are capable of. I feel like (and this is my opinion) if a person really feels the desire to go out and throw themselves at the mercy of nature and god then they should. Having said that i would like to touch on the topic at hand.lol. being prepared is of course the main thing here. hydration and being able to provide food for youself are THE most important things you should learn. coming in at a close 2nd is being able to fix your own wounds. and having the right supplies. and then would be physical condition. after you have learned all you can about the aforementioned skills then work on you stamina and cartio. just think you wont need much starting out. you will be walking not climbing mountains or going down rapids(you will on occaion) but dont put yourself in a position where you only have those options. you have to be almost like water take the route of least resistance. (sometimes) other times just let loose but be safe about it. remember you will most likely be out of help range.you will be on your own. then comes the topic of wild life. learn what you will need to do if you are in a position where you are surrounded or confronted by a bear or wolf or mountain lion. they eat meat you are meat you will be on their turf hence you will be dinner. so make sure you know what to do in that situation. hunting is another thing. I had and idea to make a bow/walking stick easy to hide if the law stops you.lol. i know that sounds sketchy but think of it like this. if you are going out on your own into the wild you will need a way to hunt. now i dont know what the law says about carrying a bow but it is a weapon so if you disguise it as a walking stick they wont take it from you. youtube pvc pipe bow and it should help as for arrows again just youtube it. actually check this guy out he is great with this sort of thing. Primitavepathways. also just like in the movie you might want look into how to dry meat for jerky. and get a book on plants. if you like my advice i have more just email me at Loubert_888@yahoo.com I also plan to go i am working on equipment first aswell as physical training. i hope to meet you on the road someday. if you need an extra in your travels ill be more than happy to help. god bless and keep the fire for adventure alive my friend.

Return to “Travelling”