Please help: Missing person

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
pezar

Re: Please help: Missing person

Postby pezar » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:05 pm

Clarification:

The "law enforcement sighting of Matt in Indio" was apparently at a Border Patrol checkpoint. As we all know, lots of Latinos try to enter the US illegally. The Border Patrol therefore has checkpoints on secondary roads throughout the SoCal desert, and a few on the interstates, where they check cars for illegals who may be hiding inside. You generally have to roll down your windows and pop your trunk lid so they can look inside. White drivers generally get cursory checks; Latino drivers are scrutinized a little closer. I figure that Matt encountered the BP before they learned that he was missing. The car probably caught their attention; a beat up green Hyundai is the type of vehicle commonly used to try to evade checkpoints. Matt was clean and was let go, then the missing person report comes up and the agents say "oh yeah, the bearded white kid in the old green car, yeah he came through here..." Also, it is now apparent that Matt DID take off without letting anybody know. It would be impossible for anybody to know whether he was kidnapped or murdered at the time of the disappearance, so LE treated it as suspicious. I hope that answers your questions, GN. I've been doing a little digging courtesy of Google.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks for the additional information, pezar.

Well, even if they first thought that he might have become a crime victim, it's more than strange that they continued searching after they had found out that he had been sighted at different places to which he had travelled by choice. But anyway, I think the most important thing is the fact that, as far as I understood, he also came back home by choice. So things should be fine for everyone now.

pezar

Postby pezar » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:36 pm

http://www.cbs8.com/story/17265548/missing-el-cajon-college-student-found-alive

The nattering nabobs of negativity of the internet are out in force on this, as you can see. Probably the same ones who think Chris was stupid or schizophrenic, because they can't imagine why somebody would give up material comforts to commune with nature and what Thomas Jefferson called "Nature's God". People have been doing it for 2000 years. Buddha sat under a tree and meditated, alone, until he found the cause of suffering. Jesus retreated to the Garden of Gethsemane. In Imperial Rome, men wandered alone into deserts and forests to find God, away from the corruption and decadence of Rome. In India, holy men called "living saints" live for decades in the jungle, alone, to be closer to jungle gods, emerging only occasionally to relay what the gods tell them. Buddhists build monasteries on mountaintops. Christians did too once, until the Western world decided that sin was more fun. But the Bible says that the wages of sin are death. Europe chose sin over holiness after WW2, because they blamed religion for the war, the result being that Europe is becoming a Muslim continent. Within a few generations, there will be no French in France, no Dutch in Holland, no Germans in Germany, no English in England.

Return to “Travelling”