is this life even FEASIBLE??

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
freeSpirit

is this life even FEASIBLE??

Postby freeSpirit » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 am

obviously everyone on here enjoys traveling to a certain degree.. and i think we can all agree that what Chris did was remarkable; his willingness to escape mediocrity, apathy, and security, all for the sake of adventure and finding his true spirit.

however, is a life like this, a life of travel even possible? im not saying out in the woods on very little food; but even travel WITHIN society or wherever; just a life of constant travel, or the majority like 6 months or more of the year spent on traveling around by hitchin, train hoppin, flying, couch surfing whatever!!

??

:)

goombla

Re: is this life even FEASIBLE??

Postby goombla » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:44 am

Possibilities are limited only by your imagination!
There's no way of knowing, but I beleive that people always looked to the past and saw how things might have been easier. I bet even people in Chris's time who tried similar things, thought back to when it might have been possible. It will always be possible, but will also alsways keep changing.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:46 am

I think IF I was going to try anything like Chris did - travelling, vagabonding, whatever you want to call it - my first choice would be to do it by car. For me and my persoanl makeup, I would like the refuge a car offers me, a place to go to, sleep in when I can't find other shelter, for when it is raining, giving me a way to get from point A to point B WITHOUT relying on a hitched ride (you never know what you're getting into there, or if you can even find a ride especially if you have a lot of stuff with you). Drawback to car travel (rubber tramping) is cost of gas, repairs for a car.

My second choice - and I never see anyone mention this on this board - would be to travel by bicycle. You can go virtually anywhere, not have to pay for gas, lock it up when need be, take a tent with you, keep your independence. You need not buy a first rate (or high priced) bicycle either.

Given the choice of tramping by foot, hitchhiking, hopping trains - I'd take a bike over those modes of travel anyday.
In reading and looking at Back To The Wild, I was somewhat surprised Chris McCandless didn't keep on riding that bike he used to escape that Crazy Ernie's (or whomever it was) out in California.

freeSpirit

Postby freeSpirit » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:14 am

very cool "solo voyager"... yeah that is odd not many people mention biking as a means of transpo... hmmm haha it would be a cool to ride around on across the country!

i think living a life of constant travel, taking time to spend time with loved ones (which doesnt HAVE to mean family), and, unlike Chris, travel with people for company and sheer connection/interaction.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:18 pm

solovoyager wrote: I was somewhat surprised Chris McCandless didn't keep on riding that bike he used to escape that Crazy Ernie's (or whomever it was) out in California.

Probably because he wanted to cover longer distances and hitchhiking could be somewhat difficult if you have to carry a bike all the time. ;)

freeSpirit

Postby freeSpirit » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:34 pm

yeah good point "go north"... have any of you done hitchhiking, extensive traveling through road trips, camping, backpacking, etc.??

i haven't yet but would love to get out there and do it..

Return to “Travelling”