My journey in the Canadian wilderness

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
Canadatramp

My journey in the Canadian wilderness

Postby Canadatramp » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Hello everyone!

Let me start by saying Chris McCandless has been quite the inspiration to me. For years, I have pondered the possibilities of getting away from society, to live free in the wild and explore my inner self. The more I think about it, the more I wish to make it a reality. But how often do you hear people say "I just want to get away from civilization and live in the wild"? How often do those people actually do it? Chances are, slim to none. It's not impossible though, as Chris proved to us 18 years ago. Sadly, he didn't survive, but his legacy lives on in the hearts of those who he has inspired. I am not saying I wish to follow in his footsteps. At least, not from a literal standpoint. I do, however, wish to follow his philosophy of doing what your heart desires. To get out there and just live life - be yourself - and be free - free from society, free from civilization, free from the political and monetary state that overpowers us.

I am currently 23 years old. I have always been the adventurous type. For the past 5 years since becoming a legal adult, I have spent that time discovering Canada for all it has to offer. And now, I plan my ultimate journey "into the wild". Until now, I have stayed within civilization, had short term jobs to fund my trips, and always a place to live - whether it be on the street, in homeless shelters, backpacker hostels, or even apartments. Currently, I am living in one such apartment in downtown Vancouver, BC. In the past 5 years, I have traveled back and forth between Ontario and British Columbia 3 times. I have family in many reaches of this massive country, so it goes without saying that their locations have been at the top of my list of places to see. I have yet to plan the exact destination of my journey, but I have a few ideas in the British Columbia and western Alberta areas. Basically wherever there's mountains, rivers, and forests - which there are plenty of in this region.

As if my inspiration from Alexander Supertramp wasn't enough, I recently met someone who made me start thinking of this more as a plan rather than a dream. This person doesn't know it yet, but I wish to invite them along with me. This person expresses the same interest as I do, and we share the same feelings about being "stuck" in the reality of a 21st century society. I feel that two of us working together will make it easier than being alone. Also, some companionship from a like-minded person would be nice to have, rather than being lonely the whole time. Whether or not this person accepts my invitation is anyone's guess, but I wish to go through with this idea anyway, alone or not.

For my own anonymity, I will only refer to myself here as Canadatramp. Please wish me the best of luck.
Last edited by Canadatramp on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkh29_99

Re: My journey in the Canadian wilderness

Postby bkh29_99 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:11 pm

good luck traveler-
Ive read extensively about "Alex" as well as other like minded wanderers. When I first got out of High School, I traveled the country and Europe extensively on my own travels...For sight, sound and beauty. Being 33, Ive seen/done many things: good bad and neutral. When I hit 28, I felt it was time to grow up; big boy job, college and family. Ive become "commercialized". I have cars, house, money and friends. Yet, I am more alone and "poor" than ever before. My life consists of: wake up, work, daughter, eat...At the end of the day I "rewind" and then the next morning hit "play/repeat". I receive no enjoyment out of the day. I look upon society and see drones to technology (me being one :-( as well). The past 3 years Ive been yurning for an awakening change. My republican family has shunned my Stanford educated PHD cousin because she has given it all up and now is a wanderer. Happier than all the rest. My brain WILL NOT shut off at night and I go back to my days of travels (with "Alex" and others in mind). I beg that you go forth and live this wandering/wonderful dream of yours and think of the countless others like myself who still have the dream/urge to do it (but am afraid of the change). I hope that one day I can shed this pointless garb of selfishness and greed that is mine and join you upon your travels....
Kentucky middle aged dreg on life.
P.S.-If you ever need housing/supplies in Kentucky, email me.

pezar

Postby pezar » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah, I currently have no money, so I can't do anything like buy an RV and tramp around like I want. I hope to work for a year or two and then go. I'd be curious to know more about this cousin of yours. What's her degree in (I have an associate's in office management-totally useless) and what made her decide to give up the fast lane and go wander? It seems that once some of these Phd people see our society for what it is that they just want to get out. A phd doesn't qualify you to rule the world, just to be a highly paid enforcer for those who do. The school system is meant to put out compliant laborers, with the "smartest" being selected for overseer status. Problem is, some of them are too smart, and being an overseer on the global plantation working for Massa doesn't suit them.

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 am

Wilderness travel is a favorite pastime of many. Every year some of them get lost and need to be rescued.
This summer we have had a number of hikers go missing in the wilds of British Columbia, three however have not been found.
As of today, Sept 30th there are still no signs of Tyler Wright, Rachael Bagnall and Jonathan Jette. All three appear to have become lost in the wild.
Tyler Wright set out on his own on a 50 km back country hike and never came out at the other end.
Rachael Bagnall and Jonathan Jette set out to spend a couple of nights in the Saxifrage and Cassiope Peaks area north of Pemberton, B.C. They disappeared without a trace other than their vehicle at the end of a logging road.

Tyler wright is described as an “amazing and passionate” individual, experienced and very capable in the back woods. He has size 16 feet.
He reminds me a bit of Christopher McCandless as he set out alone with very little in the way of supplies and gear, no map or compass.
Here are some links to news stories about him.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/19/bc-missing-hiker-boise-creek-trail.html
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Rescuers+follow+signs+missing+hiker/3442954/story.html
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/30/bc-tyler-wright-search-ended.html

The other two set out together to hike and climb in the area of a well known and traveled ice field surrounded by several peaks. One of them was considerably more experienced than the other, but they were believed to be well equipped and provisioned for what they intended to do. Still they vanished.
And here are links about Rachael Bagnall and Jonathan Jette
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/09/13/missing-hikers-pemberton.html
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/09/17/bc-missing-hikers-pemberton.html

What started out as an adventure can turn into a nightmare very quickly when you are lost in the wild. Individuals who get lost alone frequently go mad after a short time and use up their energy scrambling in circles. Cold wet conditions combined with madness can lead to exhaustion and death from exposure in short order. Survival training and practice is a good idea for anyone considering a wilderness journey. One good place for young people to get good survival training in Canada is through the Air Cadets. They conduct survival exercises at the squadron level and there are numerous free summer camps on Air Crew Survival, training and Instruction. A very good place to learn the basics from the real experts who know the skills and techniques.
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

Return to “Travelling”