ANYONE HITCHHIKED????

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
naturelover24

ANYONE HITCHHIKED????

Postby naturelover24 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:31 am

who has any tips?? i wanna go cross country (U.S.A.) with a friend, im in my 20s..... and im a MAN

adventure!

Re: ANYONE HITCHHIKED????

Postby adventure! » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:55 am

smile!

people are way more inclined to pick someone up who is smiling than someone who is just sticking their thumb out.

also try to be as clean and tidy looking as possible. if you look scraggly and unkempt, you will not get as many rides. I know it kinda sucks to adhere to a sort of standard of grooming that the rest of the world has, but it will get you more rides, no doubt.

I think in the other thread you mentioned you're going with a female? that will help you out too. I think it's good that you're doing this with her. She shouldn't be on the road alone.

adventure!

Postby adventure! » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:01 am

also, I mentioned this in the other thread, but

www.digihitch.com is a GREAT website to get tips and info about hitching.

jlawson

Postby jlawson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Hitchwiki On the web check it out for all your hitching needs! :-)

not much of a friend

Postby not much of a friend » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Hitchhiking is extremely risky at the present time. If you hate the idea of being assaulted or you don't much feel like looking at the drivers gun sitting between you and him I suggest make plans with a friend, rent a car to your basic destination, then walk, that's what being in the woods is all about. Walking free.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:41 am

I hate to say it but I don't see myself ever picking up a hitchhiker. Hope that doesn't get me a firm lambasting on a website devoted to the example of Chris McCandless but I just feel it too risky.

I do wish anyone wanting to try it - either the actual thumbing or picking up a hitchhiker the best of experiences though. :D

jlawson

Postby jlawson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:28 am

Just managed a great hitch from Dover up to Cumbria, took 3 days but on the whole a great time was had thanks to many kind trusting drivers. tip of the day, hitch with a friend, makes the long lonely hours fly by. good luck to all who hitch :-)

ladyandtramp

Postby ladyandtramp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:07 am

I hitched rides with truck drivers on several occasions. I always called their company in beforehand and arranged it. Being a woman, I wouldn't ever just stick my thumb out and hitch a ride with any random stranger. This way, I had the name of the person and there were people who knew where and with whom I was going.

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:51 pm

haha do any of you have any fun stories?

goombla

Postby goombla » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:49 pm

ive never hitchhiked, but the one person I ever had the chance to pick up, turned our to be a middle aged woman who must have been on crack at the moment and likely drunk. She exclaimed how thankful she was and explained how we had apparently saved her from her husband who was trying to kill her.

Return to “Travelling”