Travel help

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
Kevin

Travel help

Postby Kevin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:25 am

Hey everyone, my name is Kevin and I'm new to this website. I'm 19 years old and go to college at the University of California Riverside. I've been a fan of Christopher Mccandless since I first saw the film into the wild in 2008 and I just recently finished Krakauers book. Chris really left a big impact on me, not just in the manner of going out into the wild and traveling, but also by sparking a desire to really help people as much as I can. Well the point of this thread is that I am really interested backpacking across North America this summer, hopefully to Alaska. I'm going to drive and find places to live in the wild for a little while. I need some help figuring out backpacking supplies such as backpacks, cooking equipment, food, first aid, etc. I already have a really good pair of Asolo boots I took to Belize this past summer so that's taken care of. I really just want to travel as light as possible, but with enough supplies that I can last in the wild for up to a month. The main foodstuff i'm thinking of bringing is rice, because it can be cooked so easily. With that in mind, what kind of cooking equipment should I bring? Or any other food? I appreciate everyone's help, Thanks!

Kevin

Jedidiah

Re: Travel help

Postby Jedidiah » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Check out the Discussions on Alaska in the forum then look at the topic :Helpful Advice And What You'll Need To Get To The Magic Bus.
Stevesalmon and I have posted a few helpful tips. I will post a much larger list later after I eat lunch :)

Jassika2012

Postby Jassika2012 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi,
Yeah I am also a fan of Christopher Mccandless. At one point of travelling ,McCandless paddled a kayak downward remote stretches of the Colorado River to the Gulf of California. He took pride in surviving with a minimum of gear and funds, and generally made little preparation.
Perhaps you should take some fast food along with other food stuff also. And a good type of long lived joggers so that you may be able for hitch hiking if there is a need for that. And perhaps you should also take a tent along with you for staying somewhere at day times..!
Thanks
Last edited by Jassika2012 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 am

Indeed, a good list that helped me prepare when I went up.

Jassika2012

Postby Jassika2012 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:14 am

Hi,
Perhaps you ought to look for the discussions on Alaska in the forum then on the specific topic there.
Thanks

Return to “Travelling”