How to travel like chris did??

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
naturelover24

How to travel like chris did??

Postby naturelover24 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:22 am

have any of you experienced extensive amounts of traveling? do you know how to travel cheaply and see nature as well??

Red2

Re: How to travel like chris did??

Postby Red2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Three links to books that might be of interest to you nature depending on what you intend doing.

http://www.amazon.com/Backpackers-Field-Manual-Revised-Updated/dp/1400053099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288188747&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Survival-Gregory-J-Davenport/dp/0811732924/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288188832&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Food-Cooking-Backpacking-Paddling/dp/0070344361/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288189026&sr=1-3

Best of wishes on your journeys……Red2

Ascetic

Postby Ascetic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:26 pm

I've spent some time on the road and in the wild.

Traveling is cheap: it's the preparatory work that's costly. You need a good backpack first. My Arcteryx pack cost me over $200. To my knowledge, Chris used a rather expensive Kelty pack. You also need a decent sleeping bag (mine's rated to 20 degrees), pad, tent, and some kind of water filter if you're planning on an extended stay in the wild. I'd also recommend a good pair of hiking boots, and a pair of watershoes. After that, the rest is pretty cheap: first aid kit, knife, cookware, odds and ends.

You have some decisions to make for traveling. You could drive, which would cost you gas money. Or, you could hitchhike. You could also jump trains. I wouldn't recommend the latter: it's pretty dangerous.

I'd also start fasting on a regular basis, because you will get hungry in the wild. I got used to just about one meal a day. You can forage if you have a decent book on edible plants, but the pickings are usually pretty slim and they won't give you the protein you need on a daily basis.

I carried rice and several freeze dried dinners with me, and I would go off for a week or so at a time, and then go back to my car, restock, and then head out again.

I know that's not exactly how Chris did it, but it worked for me.

stilltrekker

Postby stilltrekker » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks, Ascetic, for your suggestions. What practical advice do other people have to share? Let's use this thread to help each other with what we've learned from our own travels, whatever and wherever that may be. (Check out Bobenns' Nov. 6th post under the thread "Making Money on the Road" for some good advice on being a "rubber tramp"--traveling cheaply and effectively with a vehicle.)

My suggestions:
1. Footwear is foremost. Good boots, WELL broken in, are one of the most important things you'll have. (Adequate cold weather garb is equally as crucial, naturally.) Multiple pairs of top-quality socks are essential, too. Don't scrimp on socks--buy several pairs of expensive fast-drying but warm socks. Wool is okay if you have time to dry it but there are some new materials that are better. You've GOT to be able to switch out your socks when they get wet. A second pair of footwear to use specifically for water crossings is important, too. What do you north-country folks suggest for that? In warmer climates we use securely-strapped on waterproof sandals like Tevas or securely-tied sneakers. And bring moleskin for blisters, 'cause I guarantee you'll get'm.

2. A lightweight tarp or plastic and some rope is really nice to have. Sometimes this alone can serve as shelter instead of a tent, or you may want to cover up your gear or hang food up in a tree. Tons of uses.

3. Spending the extra money for some of that fancy freeze-dried camping food is worth it if you plan to hike a distance. You'll be really glad for the savings in weight that you carry. You can also take "regular" food supplies, but plan your meals to eat the heaviest things first. Sure, if you're resourceful and knowledgeable, you may be able to supplement your diet with wild game or forage, but if Chris taught us nothing else, he taught us that for novices, it won't be enough. And don't "experiment" with wild food, especially mushrooms, unless you are CERTAIN they are edible. My whole family puked our guts out one day from eating the wrong mushrooms which looked almost exactly like an edible variety. And we were happy that puking was our punishment!

That's just a few thoughts from my experiences. Anyone else got some suggestions to share?

Stilltrekker

pezar

Postby pezar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Stilltrekker, eating the wrong mushroom can be DEADLY! The Asian communities here in California like to go mushroom hunting like they did in their home countries. There are constantly reports of SE Asians needing liver transplants because they mistook a deadly shroom for one that grows in their homelands that can be eaten. My mom had a dog that would eat mushrooms in our yard, one day the dog up and died, and it was from eating a mushroom. Mushrooms are no joke.

Ascetic

Postby Ascetic » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:03 am

I'm not sure I can add much to Still's post, but I bought a pair of Teva watershoes for river crossings. They work pretty good, and they keep my regular Merrell boots dry.

Extra socks are always a good thing.

On a less practical note, life in the wild or on the road can sometimes be monotonous (I learned that one while in Bighorn National Forest). A few, decent paperbacks are probably a good idea. It's no wonder Chris carried books with him on the Stampede Trail. I usually carry some Dostoevsky, and one or two ancient philosophers (Plato and Aristotle are always enjoyable).

stilltrekker

Postby stilltrekker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:12 am

pezar wrote:Stilltrekker, eating the wrong mushroom can be DEADLY! The Asian communities here in California like to go mushroom hunting like they did in their home countries. There are constantly reports of SE Asians needing liver transplants because they mistook a deadly shroom for one that grows in their homelands that can be eaten. My mom had a dog that would eat mushrooms in our yard, one day the dog up and died, and it was from eating a mushroom. Mushrooms are no joke.

My point exactly, pezar. Thanks for reinforcing the warning!

Return to “Travelling”