Real Alaskan Survival book

Use this forum to chat about anything to do with travelling.
Kodiak Dodge

Real Alaskan Survival book

Postby Kodiak Dodge » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

I have been browsing around this site since being told to come check this place out. I have been to the bus a couple times. Great place to set up hunting camp. Yes it is spiritual but for different reasons than what most are looking for here. I would like to make a suggestion for reading for anyone wanting to make an adventure trip to Alaska. I have lived here for over 15 yrs. I never plan on leaving. I would like to suggest that if you decide to go full retard read this book before going out for the long haul. Toughest guys I have ever heard of and his story is epic. Alone in the Wilderness is the story of Dick Proenneke, one man who lived his dream in the Alaska Wilderness. Here is the link to the website. http://www.aloneinthewilderness.com/
Another book of a hardened Alaska old schooler is Alaska's Wolf Man. I highly suggest that book as well. Very well written.

stilltrekker

Re: Real Alaskan Survival book

Postby stilltrekker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:47 am

There's a movie about him, as well. Kind of an old-school documentary, not glamorized. Just amazing how he lived alone in a cabin he built himself, primarily living off the land but with additional provisions. Very impressive. I think about how it must have been, day after day without other humans to interact with. He must have become so intimate with his environment--every part of it, land, water, sky and air, animal and plant. Definitely worth checking out. I like to imagine Chris running across Dick in his travels. . . or even picturing Chris, had he lived and learned to survive in the backcountry, maturing into a Dick-type character.

ellisd

Re: Real Alaskan Survival book

Postby ellisd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:31 am

theres a few film docs. on this man. this man was truly incredible in what hes done i think. i think he really became one with the land. the weather, the animals, the forest. He was also a gifted carpenter and a self styled nature researcher aswell. from what i understand his cabin is now a park monument, and last time i knew open to visitors. i'm pretty sure it's located in the twin lakes area and that it's lake clark national park whom it has been entrusted to. heres the site to buy the movies/book. http://www.dickproenneke.com/

i enjoyed the alone in the wilderness doc. enough where i bought it and the 2 other docs. in the dvd bundle, kinda pricey, but worth it.

Return to “Travelling”