Magic Bus moved!!!!

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
ACEX2

Magic Bus moved!!!!

Postby ACEX2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm

I just heard from a guy in Fairbanks,Alaska that the magic bus has been moved. This is what he said;

"Sorry to say, but the bus has been moved. It took 3 guys a day and a half with a gas ax (similar to a chainsaw, but with a 14 inch cutting disc instead of a chain) to cut it into manageable sized pieces and have them heli\'d out. I am from Fairbanks and know one of the guys. I rented the gas ax to one of the guys. dan."

TheAgentOfTruth

Re: Magic Bus moved!!!!

Postby TheAgentOfTruth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:18 am

wow, that's really too bad. why? - i don't see the great harm it was doing, and besides it did make a pretty good emergency bush shelter, at least until those idiot punk kids went and broke some of the windows. anyone know why they moved it? and when you say 'moved', does that mean they welded it back together and set it up somewhere else, either to be used or as a monument?
i guess my plans for next summer have now changed. :(

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:05 am

If true, this is quite sad.
I believe that the possibilities are that -

1. Story is not true
2. The people who removed it were locals that were sick of tourists coming to visit the bus

I cant imagine the local Government in Fairbanks has been a part of this. I will endeavour to find out and post updates here.

Cheers, Admin

Long Travler

Postby Long Travler » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:13 pm

This is too bad. Hopefully it is not true!

DG974

Postby DG974 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:03 pm

It's a rumor... it's impossible of course... for the memory...
No infomation in the adn, just this:
http://www.adn.com/front/story/909601.html?pageNum=2&mi_pluck_action=page_nav

To help you:
http://denalichamber.com/news.php?item.8.2

DG

jean-guy5

Postby jean-guy5 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:53 am

Well...if it's true and they moved it for real, (being a strong believer in the good side of the human nature,(seriously),),
i hope they moved it to a place more accessible, making it easier and safer for anyone in need to visit it...you know ,the bus being part of a new memorial site or something like that,...

if they moved it for any questionnable reason,(you never know,(i'm smiling), maybe the decision wasn't motivated by a good and kind intention,),
i hope the decision maker,and the crew involved, did it with the respect a young dead man deserve,
after all, that bus was also his last "home", not just his last resting place...

anyway,
getting ride of the bus should'nt change a thing for all of us who where touched by this (one of a kind) young man,
i believe his legacy is not in his final destination,(an abandonned vehicle in the middle of nowhere),
i believe his legacy is in the journey that took him there...and the incredible impact this journey left on millions of people who heard about it,
in dozens of Country, on every continent....a journey builted on his own decisions, his own beliefs, his own free will...

i have said it before and i say it again,this young man has "touched the world",
inspiring filmmakers,documentarists,writers,etc..and of course, the rest of us...
which leaves me wondering:
"how many people have you inspired today, "mister decision maker" and "mister crew involved",
with your own decisions based on your own free will ???
....maybe you should also remove every tree he touched, every water path he crossed,
every piece of grass he stepped on, and while your at it,why not the whole sky he glanced at ?....
...wait..wait a minute, mister decision maker,... i realize that suggesting you to remove all these things is quite stupid from me, but, stupidity is the only inspiration i have at this moment... i wonder why...(now i'm really smiling)

PRATEEK BAGI

place to worship

Postby PRATEEK BAGI » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:54 am

Hopefully it is not true!its too bad but still it wud be a place to worship .chasing ur dreams.its all about it.

GoNorth

Re: place to worship

Postby GoNorth » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 pm

jean-guy5 wrote:i have said it before and i say it again,this young man has "touched the world",
inspiring filmmakers,documentarists,writers,etc..and of course, the rest of us...

...which would definitely not be the case if he had survived...

PRATEEK BAGI wrote:Hopefully it is not true!its too bad but still it wud be a place to worship .chasing ur dreams.its all about it.

Honestly I rather don't think it's true, because there would probably be lots of informations in the net about it.
But if they really remove(d) it, it might also be a good thing, because these pilgrimages as if this guy had been a saint or some bullsh... like that, which has almost reached the dimension of mass tourism - that's certainly not what Chris McCandless would have liked to happen.

old-timer

Postby old-timer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:03 pm

I really hope that this is not true. Jeff USA

PirataBill

Postby PirataBill » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I really hope that this is not true! I have been saving my money for a Fairbanks trip for over a year and was planning a trip to the site this June. Does anyone have any idea how we can find out if the bus was really destroyed. I really cannot imagine that someone would spend the time and money to destroy the magic bus. Seems like a pretty good tourist attraction for Fairbanks and it was in essence a memorial to the guy.

Someone from Alaska please reply!

Thanks! :cry:

Return to “The Magic Bus”