Magic Bus moved!!!!

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
Daktari

Re: Magic Bus moved!!!!

Postby Daktari » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 am

Just a rumor bis...

look here...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNSTumExjJs

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:26 pm

PirataBill wrote:I really hope that this is not true! I have been saving my money for a Fairbanks trip for over a year and was planning a trip to the site this June.

And what if the bus had really been taken away... Why do you want to make your holiday/journey depend on a material thing?

Daktari wrote:Just a rumor bis...

look here...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNSTumExjJs

Thank you very much for the link. Really disgusting to take parts of the bus as trophies, but this kind of fetishism is so typical for the society that already McCandless himself criticized.

cykebona

Postby cykebona » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi!

I think somebody shoult to ask her about this theme:

http://www.ci.fairbanks.ak.us/

Terry Strle, Mayor
E-mail: tmstrle@ci.fairbanks.ak.us

My English is too weak...

BrendanD

Postby BrendanD » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:46 pm

guys... don't get carried away. Think about it logically. Most likely is that it is a bit of mis-information posted to cause some trouble and to dash a few people dreams to head out there. Some people are pretty mean, plain and simple. What is not likely is that some guys trecked back there with a gas powered saw (which is pretty heavy) and enough cutting discs to chop up an entire bus (I should say about 100 might do it, might.). Then once they chopped it up, they carried it out to a truck with a trailer and carried it out that way. It would be absolutely silly to do that. It would take more than a couple days and a team of silly lads to accomplish it. Now.... if I was going to destroy a monument to a great guy like Chris. I think a few cans of Diesel fuel and box of matches would accomplish the task pretty effectlively. So I say again. Not to worry. I think the old bus is perfectly safe. And why should a town in Alaska not want people coming to visit? Visiting people Bring trade and money..... something I am sure Alaska does not have enough of. I am 90 percent sure its non-sense. Someone is just being a jerk. Don't rise to the occasion people. ta.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi cykebona,

I have been in touch with the Fairbanks City Council and the bus is located outside their area.
I have other contacts that I will get in touch with for more info...

Cheers,
Admin

sillygringo

Postby sillygringo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:17 am

I am going tomorrow - I'll let you know if it's there...

http://www.freewheelings.com/travel/alaskanadventures/into-the-wild-follow-search-magic-bus-live/

sillygringo

Postby sillygringo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:01 am

The bus is still intact in it's original location. I am absolutely positive - I was there this weekend. I post back in a few days with photos and the like...

pezar

Postby pezar » Tue May 25, 2010 4:06 pm

The Alaska locals are royally pissed about the whole bus tourism thing, in their view Chris was just another moron who wandered into the taiga hoping to challenge nature or something and wildly misjudged nature. Nothing to see here, they say. Most people who went into the taiga had craploads of supplies, and when the supplies ran out they died. Chris may have starved, but he lasted a pretty long time for a guy with a .22LR rifle and ten pounds of rice. I personally hate the whole Chris mythology, Sean Penn making a movie that implies Chris was Jesus, crap like that. Chris wouldn't have wanted us to worship him like a god. I hate to say it, but stuff like this is how new religions are formed, and Chris was highly skeptical of organized religion. A men's magazine has already talked about "the cult of Chris", and it reminds me of the manliness cults of the mid to late 90s, the Iron John cult and other "man's man" cults. All the cult needs is a Paul figure to tell us that Chris died for our sins, and away we go.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Wed May 26, 2010 2:22 pm

pezar wrote: I personally hate the whole Chris mythology, Sean Penn making a movie that implies Chris was Jesus, crap like that. Chris wouldn't have wanted us to worship him like a god. I hate to say it, but stuff like this is how new religions are formed, and Chris was highly skeptical of organized religion. A men's magazine has already talked about "the cult of Chris", and it reminds me of the manliness cults of the mid to late 90s, the Iron John cult and other "man's man" cults. All the cult needs is a Paul figure to tell us that Chris died for our sins, and away we go.

I don't hate Sean Penn's movie (I just think that it gives some kind of false image in some respects for people who don't know the book, but more than 10 years after reading the book I really enjoyed watching the movie and still do so), but for the rest, I fully agree with you!

Ascetic

Postby Ascetic » Sat May 29, 2010 12:30 pm

pezar wrote:The Alaska locals are royally pissed about the whole bus tourism thing, in their view Chris was just another moron who wandered into the taiga hoping to challenge nature or something and wildly misjudged nature. Nothing to see here, they say. Most people who went into the taiga had craploads of supplies, and when the supplies ran out they died. Chris may have starved, but he lasted a pretty long time for a guy with a .22LR rifle and ten pounds of rice. I personally hate the whole Chris mythology, Sean Penn making a movie that implies Chris was Jesus, crap like that. Chris wouldn't have wanted us to worship him like a god. I hate to say it, but stuff like this is how new religions are formed, and Chris was highly skeptical of organized religion. A men's magazine has already talked about "the cult of Chris", and it reminds me of the manliness cults of the mid to late 90s, the Iron John cult and other "man's man" cults. All the cult needs is a Paul figure to tell us that Chris died for our sins, and away we go.

Insofar as I'm concerned, the Alaskan locals can go fuck themselves. It's no surprise to me that McCandless' actions would seem incomprehensible to a bunch of backwater rednecks. Look, no one is applauding his naivete, or his occasional lapse into reckless bravado. Rather, his admirers affirm the ideals that he consistently pronounced in both word and action. Few live the same.

For me, Chris McCandless is significant only insofar as he represents truth, freedom, and independence. Anyone who embraces those ideals would be equally admirable.

Return to “The Magic Bus”