One day walk to bus and drive back-excellent!

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
Husky

One day walk to bus and drive back-excellent!

Postby Husky » Fri May 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Here's what a lot of us were seeing last year out on the trail... :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGDl-t9lgnw

Hikers enjoying a quiet hike to the wilderness only to find big tire trucks now visit the area too. Hey, at least you can hitch a ride back to 8 Mile Lake if you get blisters. :lol:
Here we are in the years
Where the showman shifts the gears
Lives become careers
Children cry in fear
Let us out of here! Neal Young

Don't let fear stand in the way.
There's nothing to it
but to do it! Husky

nickparis

Re: One day walk to bus and drive back-excellent!

Postby nickparis » Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Is this your video Husky?

I was on the trail on the 18th/19th 2012, spent the night of the 18th at the bus, fortunatley for us we saw no 4x4's

Nick

Husky

Postby Husky » Tue May 14, 2013 4:40 am

NO, that's not my video and I'm not in it. I've lived around Healy for 40 years and don't recognise any of the people in the trucks. But I don't know a lot of the young guys around here now so they could be from the area. I came across the video on the Denali Park Facebook page under the story about the Rangers going to the bus.

I thought it was cool that the hiker was able to get there in 6 1/2 hours. Being May I suppose some of the ground would have been still frozen and more solid than in the summer. The Tek looks real low.

May can be a good time to walk out there although this year we still have a ton of snow on the trail and you would need snowshoes for parts of it. Supposed to snow some more this friday and saturday.
Global warming my ass!
Here we are in the years
Where the showman shifts the gears
Lives become careers
Children cry in fear
Let us out of here! Neal Young

Don't let fear stand in the way.
There's nothing to it
but to do it! Husky

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Thu May 16, 2013 7:05 am

The truck driver in that video is a member of this forum. I'm not sure if he's been active lately, but his screenname was KodiakDodge or something to that effect. I've talked to him a few times in the past, and even found his buddy's camera stuck in the mud out by the bus when I hiked out last year. He seems like a pretty nice guy if you ask me.

Personally I'm just impressed that he can get through the muddy swamp/field between fish creek and the Savage. Though it might detract from the serenity, so would a helicopter coming down on you while you're at the bus, and I don't think there's anything illegal about it (correct me if I'm wrong.) Historically it was suppose to be a road after all. Heck, the people that found Chris' body were out there in motorized vehicles.

There's actually at least one member on this forum I know of who did catch a ride out with him one time as well, and it's not the guy in the vid.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Return to “The Magic Bus”