Helicopter ride to Bus

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
Stevebsc

Helicopter ride to Bus

Postby Stevebsc » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Anyone be intereted in helicopter ride to bus?

Offbyone

Re: Helicopter ride to Bus

Postby Offbyone » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:01 pm

I was in Alaska August 10 through the 18, 2010 and knew nothing about the bus or Chris until my wife started asking a waitress about the stamped road. My wife had just read an article about a 29 year old swiss woman that had drown trying to cross the Teklanika River and was asking what was going on. I had just driven through Healy about an hour prior to that. The waitress told us about the book and movie and when I arrived at home started looking up on the internet about the book and Chris. Now I just keep looking for more information. I would like to go to the bus but cannot get back to Alaska before the summer of 2012. I presume you are looking at a date sooner than that.

kendylaurora

Postby kendylaurora » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:12 pm

I'd be very interested in a helicopter ride out to fairbanks bus 142. I would be able to make the trip to Alaska as soon as Febuary or 2011 but would prefer to go in the summer months when the weather would be more tolerable. If the offer is still available pleaseeeeee message me on here or email me at kendylauroraa@aol.com
thank you!

uksupertramp

Postby uksupertramp » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Short of finding someone to go to the bus with - and not knowing anyone else who wants to go with me - a helicopter to the bus sounds appealing. Is this a 'once-only offer' or has someone come up with a good business idea? I know Sean Penn visited by helicopter but does anyone know of such a service?

nickparis

Postby nickparis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi uksupertramp... im in the uk too and intend to travel to the bus sometime this year or 2012, would you be interested in traveling together?

I do intend to hike to the bus over a couple of days and see everything that chris saw rather than fly in and out.

uksupertramp

Postby uksupertramp » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi, nickparis

Sorry for not logging on earlier. Was expecting an email alert if there was any answer. On reflection, I totally agree with your preferred means of travelling - if you don't do it the same way Chris did it then it would cheapen the experience, I think.

Going to Bus 142 is not possible for me until 2013. Ideally, I want to spend the time finding like-mnded people such as yourself and travel in a small group. if I can find a guide with local knowledge (who can also use a gun), or someone who has travelled the Stampede Trail before then all the better.

I am also considering making my trip to the Magic Bus as part of a larger excursion and 'rubber tramping' to Carthage, the Pacific Trail, Slab City, etc., taking about a month. A lot of research and thorough planning lies ahead (I want to see if a pint with Wayne Westerberg in Carthage is possible, for example). I also have to convince my partner that going to the other side of the world 'to see a rusty old bus' (her words) is important to me.

Oh well, this is a start. Let's see where it takes us.

Don(uksupertramp)

nickparis

Postby nickparis » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Don,

i too had trouble in explaining to the other half the reasons behind why traveling halfway round the world to visit a rusty bus in the middle of nowhere is a good idea!

i have had a few other things going on which have perhaps put my trip on hold for a little while, work commitments and such mean taking a month away would be impossible, i was hoping to travel over and make the trip in aroud 2 weeks but a little more planning is needed on my part.

i too am interested in hiring a guide, traveling smart etc. and if you wish to stay in touch then you can find me fairly easily on facebook. perhaps we could get the motions moving for planning the trip before its too late!

best regards

nick

uksupertramp

Postby uksupertramp » Sat May 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Many Nick Paris finds on Facebook. Look me up - Don Wilkie - Picture of a bus you might know of should give me away.

nickparis

Postby nickparis » Sun May 08, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Don,

Found you and added you, interesting that you loive in devon! im from torbay but now live in london.

best

Nick

starasencio

Postby starasencio » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:30 pm

If you are still offering, I would be very interested in a ride to the bus. I plan to go Summer 2014.

Return to “The Magic Bus”