MagicBus and Stampede Trail Google Earth File

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
Romana

MagicBus and Stampede Trail Google Earth File

Postby Romana » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi all.

I have been interested in Christopher McCandless / Alex SuperTramp for several years. I found this web site a couple of years back but did not realise that there was a forum here till now. I have also seen Erik Halfacre's wonderful web site.

Anyway, I have compiled a Google Earth file of some of the trails and landmarks around the Magic Bus. Included is some stuff at the end of the Stampede Trail. The file is located at http://www.vandwellers.org/ChristopherMcCandless.kmz

erikhalfacre

Re: MagicBus and Stampede Trail Google Earth File

Postby erikhalfacre » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Nice. Did you actually hike all of these trails or just mark them from the satellite images?
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Romana

Postby Romana » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:57 am

I just marked them from sattalite images. I have yet to visit Alaska. :(
I'm a bit of a Google Earth geek, and do photo interpretation. I also found the location of the cabins and 2 of the 3 airstrips on USGS maps of the area. Some of the information I chased up through web sites, online forums and so on. I do know that there is a few hunters cabins that I have not been able to locate, and a sort of truckbed camper out there as well. If anyone has the gps coordinates of those, I can add them if they let me know.
Oh,I should add the location of where he obtained his boat from, and the Slabs area as well as the location of the hot springs he stayed at. I used to have those but lost that file. But I recall exactly where they were. I have a photographic memory for maps.

Romana

Postby Romana » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 am

I've updated the file to include locations and trips of pretty much all the locations that I I could find from the "Into the Wild" book. Even managed to find the location of "Oh My God Hot Springs. ' :)

Return to “The Magic Bus”