Hiking the trail the last week of May 2012

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
rugged_echo

Hiking the trail the last week of May 2012

Postby rugged_echo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 am

My brother and I are hiking the Stampede the last week of May. Has anyone else been on the trail around this time? Just curious as to what the weather will be like. Lots of rain and cold or mild with occasional rain?

Jedidiah

Re: Hiking the trail the last week of May 2012

Postby Jedidiah » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 am

It's doable. I did it in late May/early June of 2010. For information on my trip see: http://www.stampedetrail.info/jedidiahstrip.php . I took a little bit different route in but coming out I took the tradtional Stampede Route. I would suggest having a packraft handy just in case there is a lot of snow from this winter (Teklanika is a glacial/mountain fed river, more snow=more melting in warmer temps therefor higher river). They're really good for high volume river crossings. I would suggest Alpacka packrafts but there is cheaper alternatives but there's more risk in that decision. If Dry creek has a lot of water moving through it, you can bet the Teklanika has the same. It's traditionally used as an indicatior. Good luck!

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 am

Dry creek can be used as an indicator, but even if it is dry the Tek may still be running high.
When i went in late june 2011, we checked out dry creek before even going onto stampede road, and it was dry as can be, but on the hike in was a constant ran. By the time we got to the Tek it was running pretty high and my buddy didn't want to cross. So after agreeing to go back, we checked out Dry creek on the way out, and it was still dry as a bone. I'm not saying Jed's wrong, quite the opposite in fact, just saying take other factors into account as well, ie- melting snow, rain etc. Also, you can be hiking right along in perfect weather, but if it rains in Denali for example, where alot of rain water, run off etc goes into the Tek, you can still face a high flowing river.

bradbenson

Postby bradbenson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 am

If you need a recon trip, want to see the bus from the air, need some ATV support on the ground, or wish to visit the Stampede Mine, hit me up. I'm a pilot, have a plane, and spend summers in Healy. I've been to the bus on foot, as far as the Tek many times on ATV, and over the bus and to the Stampede many times by air. I also used to manage ('09-'10) the Jeep tour business that runs up and down the Stampede as far as about Mile 12.
Brad
Image Image

Eksessivaudio

Postby Eksessivaudio » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:36 am

Heading out there on ATV's that weekend, if we can't make it across we are camping at the river Sat night!!!!

Return to “The Magic Bus”