Trip to the "Magic Bus"

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
Grecy

Re: Trip to the "Magic Bus"

Postby Grecy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:02 pm

roger wrote: ...Rather than visiting Chris' "Magic Bus", I believe a much more fitting tribute to Chris -- a tribute more in line with his philosophy -- would be to embark on one's own journey of self-dicovery in an attempt to find one's own "Magic Bus." I think Chris would concur.

Wow, I think you hit it on the head perfectly.

I am currently on my own journey of self-discovery, driving my Jeep 50,000kms from the Arctic Ocean in Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego, the southern-most point of South America.
During my trip, I hiked into The Magic Bus to spend some time and soak in the atmosphere. Without doubt, it is the most amazing place I have ever been in my life. The trip was remarkable!

You can see all my photos and read about my hike to the Magic Bus in July 2009 at http://dangrec.com/?p=647

-Dan
The Road Chose Me - 50,000kms of ebb and flow. http://www.dangrec.com

roger

Postby roger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:15 am

Grecy,

Though I don't know you, news of your journey puts a smile on my face. Wishing you only the best of fortune in your travels. May the distance you travel in miles be replicated in the happiness and enlightenment you find along the way. Safe travels my friend. You are not alone out there. My best thoughts and wishes accompany you wherever you may roam.

Roger

danitaly

Postby danitaly » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:26 pm

I wish I we can go one day, I live in Italy but I hope someday to be able to go to Alaska and see the magic bus!

denbo

Postby denbo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:50 am

Wanted to share here too as I was at the majic bus trip site..........

I am not so surprised that so many people are checking into the Bus that was in the movie. I myself was at the Bus, but it was many years before Chris was there. Feeling the rapture of nature myself and a big fan of the "Hemmingway's adventures of a young man mentality" I went to Alaska in seach of the "White Noise" reality of standing out in the arms of Mother Nature so she could hold me there. I found out about the Bus by asking in stores and bars about local sites of interest and the bus was mentioned in a bar. I arranged to meet the owner of the (land) bus and paid him so I could stay there at a later date. The movie about Chris was chilling as I recalled my own trip to the bus and the desolate, thrilling commune with nature. I also saw "Call Of The Wild" about Chris. Chris's story brings to mind Alexander The Great's world travels and how Chris's story is scaled down in magnitude from that. Alexander The Great vs. Alexander Sewper Tramp. You can tell Chris was a great reader because he treasured his books as he traveled and buried them under his bridge home so he could retrieve them later instead of getting more copies.

I too have best wishes for the preservation of the bus and it's contents now that it has superceded a mere point of travel interest into a icon/relic/shrine from the movie industry and daily life, much like Zabriskie Point. By the way..... What is the point of Zabriskie point? Any way.... to any one who reads this..... please take care if you travel out in the wilderness, be prepared and be respectful. Also a kind thought goes out to the McCandless Family on their tragic loss. I remember the sequence of news blurbs as they searched for Chris and the final note when they found him at the Bus and stark realization I had been there. Chris had found out about the hitch hikers/tramping circuit too and now I am thinking the "Bus" will become a part of that "Tramping Lore".

Good luck to all in your travels! Denbo......[quote][/quote]

Return to “The Magic Bus”