when 142 was left behind

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
ellisd

when 142 was left behind

Postby ellisd » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 pm

bus2.jpg
bus2.jpg (61.65 KiB) Viewed 5563 times

this is where bus 142 was left behind, as the others made there way down the trail. here's a quote from Mickey Hines, the person who shared these pics from there own film footage....

My father worked for Yutan Cons and the buses were part of the construction company following the Stampede Trail. We went in at Lignite. The camp was 2 orange buses for the men and the two green ones for my family. Mine was the only family in camp because we lived in Colorado and the rest of the men lived in Fairbanks. The buses, 152 and another green and white one, from the pics were both customized by my Dad. Other may have replaced things but it was Jess Mariner who put the original beds and stove in it. There was a double bed in the back - it looks like the original springs and there were twin bunk beds in 1961 when these home movies were shot. It was left where it is today because the axle broke when they were taking the camp back out. In this capture (from my old home movies) they are on their way back out to the railroad.
- Mickey Hines from the facebook group "Magic Bus 142"

projectaero

Re: when 142 was left behind

Postby projectaero » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:28 am

it almost has an eerie feel to it.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:15 pm

projectaero wrote:it almost has an eerie feel to it.

It does have an eeriness to it. And almost a sense of foreboding in the abandoning of the bus.

That is an amazing photo ellisd! How was it taken? By airplane?
Last edited by solovoyager on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:08 am

its was a still taken from a home movie

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:45 am

ellisd wrote:its was a still taken from a home movie

Yes but the footage is taken from a higher elevation and I was just curious if taken from plane or hill/mountain. I suppose only the filmmaker can say.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:16 pm

I think you might be looking at it wrong. The buses in the distance are being towed up a hill (note the outcropping of rock). It looks like it was shot from someone standing on the trail at the bottom of the hill, or perhaps a very short way up the other side of the valley the buses are being towed out of.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:50 pm

erikhalfacre wrote:I think you might be looking at it wrong. The buses in the distance are being towed up a hill (note the outcropping of rock). It looks like it was shot from someone standing on the trail at the bottom of the hill, or perhaps a very short way up the other side of the valley the buses are being towed out of.

Okay I got it now, thanks Erik. :D

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:45 pm

No problem. What I'd like to know is where on the trail this image was taken.

It doesn't look like the hill up out of the Teklanika River Valley, nor the hill just east of the bus. I wonder if this might be one of the bigger hills between the two forks of the Toklat, or even one of the hills between the Toklat and the Sushana.

RosieFbxAK

Postby RosieFbxAK » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Erik - it says the bus was left where it remains... are there hills out there that would match this view?

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:19 am

Yes, my mistake. This must be one of the hills east of the bus then. Looks different with the snow.

Return to “The Magic Bus”