when 142 was left behind

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
ronlamothe

Re: when 142 was left behind

Postby ronlamothe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm not saying Mickey Hines's story is not true, but I have my doubts about this being Fairbanks 142. For one thing, the rear windows are all wrong...there should be two windows, not three...I can post an image of the back of the bus if someone could tell me how to attach it (I don't see a way to post it here if it's not on-line).

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:12 am

What I was told, is that the green bus in this photo is the OTHER green bus. There were four buses in total. Two orange, Two green. The orange ones were for the men. Bus 142 was where Mickey's family lived. The other green bus was the kitchen/galley. I believe that is the bus in the back of this shot. This photo is of "when the bus was left behind" because it's NOT in the shot.

According to what I'd heard 142 snapped an axle, which is why it was left. The other three are pictured here being towed out.

There's some more of Mickey's pictures here: http://www.stampedetrail.info/history.php
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

ronlamothe

Postby ronlamothe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:31 pm

My bad...I misread it and thought it was suggesting that this was 142. I would love to see the actual home movie. It now makes me wonder if Steve Tolley (trapper who used the bus back in the 70s & 80s) was misremembering when he told me about bringing out the bed and the stove. Anyway, quite amazing that this footage exists, and great that Mickey has shared his story about it. I wonder if he has considered donating a copy to the Alaska Film Archives at UAF, where it could be publicly accessed and also preserved. Speaking of which, there is also footage that exists of the original Earl Pilgrim trailblazing of Stampede (a few clips of which I included in CALL) that is pretty interesting to look at, shot a few decades before the Yutan folks arrived. It is in the UAF archives:

[Stony Creek and cat trains and Stampede, dredge and Hughes and Bettles and Stampede, mining at Livengood] [videorecording]
Title [Stony Creek and cat trains and Stampede, dredge and Hughes and Bettles and Stampede, mining at Livengood] [videorecording]
Publication info [between 1936 and 1964]
Physical description 1 videodisc (54 min.) : si., col., ; 4 3/4 in.
General Note Copied from raw film footage; may contain scratches and/or exposure and focus problems.
Summary Summary: Film was taken by Earl Pilgrim. Images in part 1 (AAF-744) include packing supplies by horse down Stony Creek 25 miles to Earl Pilgrim's antimony mining operation at Stampede, caterpillars stripping ground and miners working with ore cars at Stampede, Weeks Field and aerial view of Fairbanks, Stampede camp and cats working on Stampede Trail from Lignite on the Alaska Railroad to Stampede, cat train going cross country and crossing rivers, hauling ore by cat trains and unloading ore on Alaska Railroad flatcar at Lignite and cat train leaving Lignite, cats stuck in ice, woman feeding Earl's malemute Kobuk, several scenes of Stampede mine operations including emptying ore cars and workers in camp and several cat train operations. Additional images include 5,000 ft. runway 3 miles Stampede, helicopter, single-engine Navion, men unloading Wien C-46 and C-46 taking off, men loading sacks of antimony ore in Wien C-46, unidentified native family, loading ore in C-47, and Wien C-47 taking off. Images in part 2 (AAF-745) include Hogatza River mining camp and unidentified workers from Hughes, black bear named Susie on F.E. gold dredge at Hogatza River, Hughes, aerial river scenes, Beech 18 at Hughes, cabins at Hughes, Bettles, Wien C-47, Bucyrus-Monigan 10-W Electric walking dragline and conveyor system at Ester preparing ground for Dredge 10, and 40-mile Roadhouse on Taylor Highway. Images at Earl Pilgrim's Stampede Mine near Kantishna include an albino moose, mine buildings, men with dead black bear, group of people, porcupine in tree, children making ice cream and Stampede during winter. Images in part 3 (AAF-746) include gold mining operation near Livengood (?) men drilling core samples, dragline, reservoir, road construction, mining camp, hydraulic giants, F.E. gold dredges working, walking dragline and large sluice box.

Title [Hauling ore by plane, Nome and Unalakleet, trained dog and Harold Gillam's bears, PNA and Cordova and Stampede, Richardson Highway and Fairbanks and Nenana, outside and dog tricks, skiing at Stampede] [videorecording].
Publication info [between 1936 and 1972]
Physical description 1 videodisc (54 min.) : si., col., ; 4 3/4 in.
General Note Copied from original film or videotape may contain focus and other recording or broadcast problems.
Summary Summary:Film was taken by Earl Pilgrim. Images in part 1 (AAF-747) include dead moose, cache, bear, men loading sacks of ore on C-46, tracked snow truck snowmachine, porcupine, wolf track, Mt. McKinley from airplane, man with magpie, feeding red fox, C-46 landing at Stampede, truck packing snow on the Stampede runway, ptarmigan, C-82 with ore at Stampede and Nenana and Stampede, helicopter, Earl Pilgrim by small plane with asian visitors, Earl Pilgrim and unidentified man with dead bear, and moose in Stampede camp. Images in part 2 (AAF-748) include downtown Anchorage, Independence Mine, mountains from airplane, Nome from airplane, Nome streets and buildings, Eskimo people jigging for tomcod, Eskimo couple with baby, Weasel tracked vehicle in snow, Big Harrah mine near Solomon from airplane, Charles Traeger with large grayling at Unalakleet, Unalakleet residents in riverboats, Eskimo man in kayak with log raft and Unalakleet village. Images in part 3 (AAF-749) include foxes, Mt. McKinley from airplane, pack horses, mine buildings, caribou, bunting, grizzly bear, flowers, Earl Pilgrim with his husky Kobuk doing tricks, unidentified man in Western Air Service coveralls and Harold Gillam with pet polar bears, Orville and Wilbur, at Weeks Field in Fairbanks. Images in part 4 (AAF-750) PNA Constellation at the Cordova Airport, San Juan Island life, Stampede Mine site, porcupine, helicopter and Washington D.C. traffic. Images in part 5 (AAF-751) include Mt. McKinley from airplane, junction of the Glenn and Richardson Highways, tidal flats at Valdez, Tonsina Lodge, Keystone Canyon, Worthington Glacier, Gulkana Lodge, Liberty Falls, Fish Creek and Fairbanks Creek roads, 360-degree panorama from Cleary Summit, Shriner's picnic at Harding Lake, Fairbanks houses, military planes fly in formation, Mt. McKinley, Alaska Railroad at Nenana, houses and businesses at Moose Pass, Alaska Railroad rotary snow blower and snow blower on truck.
Summary Summary: Images in Part 6 (AAF-752) include boats and docks Lake Washington, unidentified couple and Earl Pilgrim with his husky Kobuk doing tricks at Stampede. Images in Part 7 (AAF-753) include unidentified people at Stampede mine mushing dogs, skiing and working on road with dump truck.

Return to “The Magic Bus”