Should everyone clean the bus when they are there

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
projectaero

Should everyone clean the bus when they are there

Postby projectaero » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 am

Do you think that when anyone arrives to the bus they should clean it?
Reason i ask is if you arrive at the bus after 2 years of saving money to go and its just a big mess, you would be happy you are there but also dissapointed.
What do you think?

erikhalfacre

Re: Should everyone clean the bus when they are there

Postby erikhalfacre » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 am

Absolutely. There's also a note to this effect that can be found in the bus.

The constantly degrading condition of the bus, though unavoidable, can certainly be slowed by as many of us as possible doing our best to keep it clean, and respecting it and encouraging others to do so as well. The unfortunate reality of the situation is that we will not receive help from any govt entity in protecting the bus. The Alaska DNR, that officially owns the bus because of it's location and status as an abandoned vehicle, aren't the slightest bit interested in pressing charges against those who vandalize the bus. This was proven by the whole instrument-panel-on-ebay incident.

The amount of broken glass, and subsequent amount of snow and rain that get into the bus are accelerating the rate at which it will rust out. The appearance of graffiti on the exterior of the vehicle is also new (2010.) The unfortunate reality is that people are destructive, and tend to be more so when they know nobody's there to see them. The other major factor that contributes to the vandalism is the bus' accessibility by 4x4 vehicles. Hiking in the Alaskan backcountry, it has been my experience that most things (old mine shacks, public cabins, etc...) that are more than 2 or 3 miles beyond the reach of four-wheelers are usually in much better shape than those that are not. I say this with no hostility to the four-wheeling community. I do a fair amount of four-wheeling myself. But I have to believe that when you have to sweat to get to something, you're much more likely to have respect for it.

I notice, that every winter, it seems like someone goes out there and puts tarps, plastic, or plywood to block the holes where the broken windows are. Immediately in the spring these protective measures are taken down, either by the elements, or by visitors that don't want green duct tape in their photo of the bus they just hiked 20 miles to see. I wonder if it might not be a good idea to rig some kind of easily removable window coverings. Say, thin plywood, cut to the exact dimensions of the hole with little wooden tabs on deck screws that could be twisted out to lock the window in place, then twisted in to remove the wood for photos or what not. I also wonder if any of the sharpie markings on the outside of the bus could be easily removed with magic eraser or goof off or something similar without further harming the paint.

Anyone who goes out there and wants to take some good photos of the broken windows, and some measurements, let me know. If I had measurements I could pull the precut pieces out there this winter by snowmachine once I get home to Alaska.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

solovoyager

Re: Should everyone clean the bus when they are there

Postby solovoyager » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:52 am

erikhalfacre wrote:Absolutely. There's also a note to this effect that can be found in the bus.

The constantly degrading condition of the bus, though unavoidable, can certainly be slowed by as many of us as possible doing our best to keep it clean, and respecting it and encouraging others to do so as well. The unfortunate reality of the situation is that we will not receive help from any govt entity in protecting the bus. The Alaska DNR, that officially owns the bus because of it's location and status as an abandoned vehicle, aren't the slightest bit interested in pressing charges against those who vandalize the bus. This was proven by the whole instrument-panel-on-ebay incident.

The amount of broken glass, and subsequent amount of snow and rain that get into the bus are accelerating the rate at which it will rust out. The appearance of graffiti on the exterior of the vehicle is also new (2010.) The unfortunate reality is that people are destructive, and tend to be more so when they know nobody's there to see them. The other major factor that contributes to the vandalism is the bus' accessibility by 4x4 vehicles. Hiking in the Alaskan backcountry, it has been my experience that most things (old mine shacks, public cabins, etc...) that are more than 2 or 3 miles beyond the reach of four-wheelers are usually in much better shape than those that are not. I say this with no hostility to the four-wheeling community. I do a fair amount of four-wheeling myself. But I have to believe that when you have to sweat to get to something, you're much more likely to have respect for it.

I notice, that every winter, it seems like someone goes out there and puts tarps, plastic, or plywood to block the holes where the broken windows are. Immediately in the spring these protective measures are taken down, either by the elements, or by visitors that don't want green duct tape in their photo of the bus they just hiked 20 miles to see. I wonder if it might not be a good idea to rig some kind of easily removable window coverings. Say, thin plywood, cut to the exact dimensions of the hole with little wooden tabs on deck screws that could be twisted out to lock the window in place, then twisted in to remove the wood for photos or what not. I also wonder if any of the sharpie markings on the outside of the bus could be easily removed with magic eraser or goof off or something similar without further harming the paint.

Anyone who goes out there and wants to take some good photos of the broken windows, and some measurements, let me know. If I had measurements I could pull the precut pieces out there this winter by snowmachine once I get home to Alaska.

Being new to this forum I am somewhat sickened to hear of this destruction. Selling the bus instrument panel on eBay!?? I fully accept many people do not care about the story of Chris McCandless - but to me ANY place where someone has died is a place I hold in respect, that I view with some reverence.

Return to “The Magic Bus”