Best time to hike to the bus

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
latkg5778

Best time to hike to the bus

Postby latkg5778 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:02 am

I am searching for information on the best month to go to the bus. I living in North Pole, AK so I have ideas of when I want to go. I am just wondering on others experiences and opinions on the conditions of the trail and swelling of the Tek. I know the river will slow in the cooler weather and at night, however, I am not all that interested in going when it is cold. I was thinking July would be good even thought the river may be harder to cross the rest of the trail should be more dry than at other times. I was thinking May because it is warmer but still cold enough for the river not to be wild but is that too soon after break up for the trail to be dry enough.

erikhalfacre

Re: Best time to hike to the bus

Postby erikhalfacre » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:23 am

I wouldn't worry about the trail being dry. That's not really going to happen, and if it does it means the river will be plenty high because it will probably be hot. I'd aim for late May/early June and just plan on having wet feet. Bring lots of socks and dry your boots by the fire each night if you feel so inclined. Just turning them upside down and taking out the insoles over night will be a great improvement.
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

Jedidiah

Postby Jedidiah » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:09 pm

There isn't going to be a time that the trail is completely dry. You're still going to have to deal with beaver marsh crossings along w/ the Tek and Savage Rivers and not to mention the creek (Sushana River feeder creek) that follows and crosses the trail many times on the Bus side of the Tek. I went in the beginning to mid May of 2010. I would suggest you do the same. July sounds nice for the warmer temperatures but you'll have a ton more glacial runnoff at the headwaters of the Tekanika.

-Jedidiah
enduretheelements2007@yahoo.com
facebook.com/jedidiah.white

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 pm

~SS

Return to “The Magic Bus”