Hand tram across the river by the bus

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
User1

Hand tram across the river by the bus

Postby User1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Hello all,

I just watched the movie Into the Wild and looked at quite a few Utube videos after that, but I couldn't find anything in regards to where this hand tram that Chris may had been able to use. There's references that it was a little up river from the bus, but no one has shown where it was exactly. Does anyone have any more insight as to where it is in reference to the bus?

Remarkable movie and quite a person Chris was. I always love to learn about people like him.

Thanks for any and all responses.

GoNorth

Re: Hand tram across the river by the bus

Postby GoNorth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 pm

User1 wrote:... but I couldn't find anything in regards to where this hand tram that Chris may had been able to use. There's references that it was a little up river from the bus,

The river Chris didn't manage to cross on his way back was the Teklanika river and about 10 miles (?) away from the bus. The hand tram was "half a mile downstream" (Krakauer) from the place were the Stampede Trail crosses the river, so not near the bus at all.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:05 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:43 pm

@Steve-
when you got to the tek and searched for a braided section to cross, did you happen to see the spot where it once was or any evidence it was even there?

madmaxx1221

Postby madmaxx1221 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Heres a video of what i think used to be the tram.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzqs8lgJPvA

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:41 pm

nice find!! thanks for sharing. ;)

madmaxx1221

Postby madmaxx1221 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:40 pm

ellisd wrote:nice find!! thanks for sharing. ;)

You're welcome

ellisd

Postby ellisd » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 am

after watching it, and seeing how far it actually expanded, i'm very impressed with how krakauer crossed it the first time using a climbing technique. It must have taken alot to do that.

User1

Postby User1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks for posting up the video. Looks like the system could be repaired and possibly improved upon. I wonder if it was torn apart or it broke? Yeah I learned that it was no more after I watched the Ron Lamothe movie Call of the Wild. I highly recommend the movie if you haven't seen it.

Another thing I haven't seen yet is if anyone has made a map of the area. Would be great to see how these things relate to one another. Such as where Chris started his trek from his last ride, where he crossed the river to the bus, where was the cable across the river, the cabins mentioned in the movie Call of the Wild, etc. etc.

After seeing two movies on Chris, I really think there's room for a third. Seems like there's still alot of info out there that can be pulled together. I guess I could read one of the books on him.

madmaxx1221

Postby madmaxx1221 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:09 am

ellisd wrote:after watching it, and seeing how far it actually expanded, i'm very impressed with how krakauer crossed it the first time using a climbing technique. It must have taken alot to do that.

ohh I bet. his arms were probably spent after he got to the bus side of the river.

Also something to think about, if chris knew of the tram do you believe he could of made it across even with his shoulder or arm injury that he had sustained?

Return to “The Magic Bus”