Any women who have traveled on their own?

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
LucyPeace9

Any women who have traveled on their own?

Postby LucyPeace9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:08 am

Ive always been fascinated by nature, ever since i was a little girl. I am planning on taking a trip of my own after i graduate college in around 2 years :) i am not sure where to yet but is there any women here who have traveled? any tips? thanks!

JesusIsLove777

Re: Any women who have traveled on their own?

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Hey LucyPeace, i super admire your willingness to travel; im around your age and that is such a rare and cool mentality! :) but i do think it is rather risky for a girl to travel alone, if some creeper d00d comes up to you it might be hard to defend yourself, unless you know karate or something narley haha, but yeah maybe round up a few friends (a guy or 2 wouldnt hurt haha), and you should be okay..

So to answer your question, i do know of women who have wanted to travel like chris from Into the wild, but what is stopping them is being weaker than men incase they find themselves in a danger situation. Hope this helps! btw i have been trying to round up a few people in their early 20s who live in the USA to maybe travel sometime down the line... good luck! :)

GoNorth

Re: Any women who have traveled on their own?

Postby GoNorth » Sun May 01, 2011 8:29 am

JesusIsLove777 wrote: but what is stopping them is being weaker than men incase they find themselves in a danger situation.

Right, if the danger is about certain types of crime.
That's why you have to be much more cautious when travelling alone as a woman.
I have done this many times in the last years, though I wouldn't consider myself a particularly courageous person. It all depends on where and how you travel. For example, I do never hitchhike. Gives you some restrictions, but rather that than...
Hiking in more remote areas as a woman is almost the same as doing so as a man. The dangers you can meet there (an accident, lack of orienteering, thunderstorms, or in some regions even wild animals :mrgreen: ) are the same for everyone and it's all about being well prepared and ask yourself what possibilities you have to get help or have someone find you in the worst case. 100% security can never be reached, but that's true for any other situation in life as well.

If you like being outdoors and still lack experience of hiking on your own, I would recommend that you first choose a region that suits you (the kind of landscape you personally like) and then start by doing some longer day hikes on established trails, eventually increasing the length to an overnight hike (if you haven't slept in a tent or any kind of shelter so far, maybe first try it with someone else).
Really, if you feel that you are the type for solo travelling, do it. It can enrich your life considerably.

Return to “The Magic Bus”