Have you been to the bus?

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
ellisd

Re: Have you been to the bus?

Postby ellisd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:30 pm

once again Steve, your story and the way you present is nothing short of amazing!! GREAT job!!!

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Read the new chapter last night and really enjoyed it! Wow, what a suspense! ...but well, not a real one, as we all know that you made it back home somehow. :D However, can't wait to read more.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:10 pm

You guys are the best.
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:10 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:46 am

I wish Chris had lived too. I'd gladly trade the stories of his adventures, the book (and movie) "Into the Wild" for him to be here so that the world had never even learned about him. A life like that, someone so full of life and ideas.... it just seems so unjust (or something) that he couldn't have been found alive. :(

solovoyager

Postby solovoyager » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:50 pm

SteveSalmon wrote:Dear Chris,
I wish someone would have gotten to the bus sooner to find you, my friend. You deserved to live.
Rest peacefully,
~Steve Salmon

I suppose it wasn't unusual at that time of year that no one else would have ventured out to the bus while Chris was alive. Still, what are the odds that NO ONE DID ACTUALLY SHOW UP? Dumb question I suppose and I guess I answered it in my first sentence..... It's just when I start thinking about the tragedy of Chris' death, like you Steve Salmon, I WANT someone to get to him in time (or that he could have crossed the river when he first wanted to leave).

Just kind of amazing that Chris' time out living in the bus maybe happened to be THE precise time window that not another living soul would venture out there - witness that the hunters arrived what, an estimated 2 weeks after Chris' death? So if Chris had first arrived 2 weeks or more later than he had done, then maybe he'd have been living when the hunters arrived. Like I said before, I loved reading the story of Chris and he has inspired me in my life but knowing first hand what a death of a family member (my 19 year old sister when I was 12 years old) does to a family, to parents and siblings - I'd gladly trade it away for Chris to have lived and remain anonymous for the rest of his days. (And besides what it does to a family and friends, there is of course the tragedy that Chris himself did not get to live out further his life. Amazing and so sad to realize he'd be what - 43 now? Now there's a question to pose on this website if it hasn't already.... And it may already have been posed..... What would Chris be like, what would he be doing - if he were still here alive?)

(Been a few years since I read Into The Wild for the 3rd time and don't remember all the details of Chris's story like some of the posters here.... It's amazing the level of detail and knowledge some of you have on Chris.....!!! I think they were hunters that arrived to find Chris' remains.... but forgive me if they were not.)

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:01 am

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:42 pm

I finally read the last chapter.
Thanks a lot, Steve! Great narration! :D

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:23 am

Thanks GoNorth. I appreciate that. I hope all has been well for you.
~Steve

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:06 pm

What a challenge, what a triumph Steve. Now to get this story published somewhere.
A lot of people would be interested in reading this very inspired account of your personal journey. It seems to be as much about finding yourself as it is about Chris and the bus. Its a great story.

On another note. I'm afraid that your very accurate description of that bone chilling crossing may have discouraged me from ever trying to make the journey to the bus. I don't think I have the stamina required to cross that river.
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

Return to “The Magic Bus”