The bus is getting pulled

Here you can write about the bus, trips to the bus etc etc...
Kodiak Dodge

The bus is getting pulled

Postby Kodiak Dodge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 am

My buddy just stopped by and they are pulling the bus off the trail. After the last death the park service wants it gone. Not a joke.

Wedelen64

Re: The bus is getting pulled

Postby Wedelen64 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:02 am

What a shame. Maybe in the winter it might have saved someone's life. But it is typical. Thanks to you Kodiak Dodge and pezar for keeping the peace. When I get mad at a post and want to write something "negative" I try to remember that Chris's parents may be reading what I say and that chills me out instantly. Peace

pezar

Postby pezar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:17 am

There's been rumors of that for a couple years, including one rumor in the spring that some guys from Healy went out there, cut it up with blowtorches, and helo'd it out. I would think that with the death that the feds would be pretty fed up.

What they'll do is expand the park to include the Wolf Townships, and then put a gate across the trail. Everybody has heard of Charles Manson and his killer cultists, right? Well, the two ranches where they hid out were private property, just outside the bounds of Death Valley NP. After the Family was jailed, the feds bought the ranches, removed all the signs, and put a gate across the road, mainly to keep people out-it's pretty remote, and there's no water, and they didn't want groupies or sightseers getting stranded and dying out there.

Basically the feds made the Barker and Myers ranches part of the park. I was able to locate where they were by comparing a 1965 map to a current one. It's illegal to print a map locating where the ranches were, and illegal to hop the gate, of course. They'll do the same thing with the Stampede Trail, yank out the bus, "fill in" the notch, and gate Stampede Road. I bet the locals will be PLENTY relieved. It was only a matter of time before somebody died out there. In fact, with some 300 people that HAVE gone out there, I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner. Maybe they can put the bus in Healy as a roadside attraction. Or they will just scrap it.

Kodiak Dodge

Postby Kodiak Dodge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11 am

We made a couple phone calls and its another bus they pulled. I am sure they will end up pulling this one eventually. It was funny when m y buddy showed up cause it was news to me. It was always rumor. I guess if your going to go to the bus you better start making plans. Stampede trail was left an open area for hunters. Thats why they have a corridor into the park. It was left for the locals. It will not close.There is good greyling fishing right next to the bus. I would love to build a cabin at that spot. I would haul people out there for $1000 a head.

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:22 pm

~SS
Last edited by SteveSalmon on Thu May 03, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ascetic

Postby Ascetic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 am

SteveSalmon wrote:Yes, let's have the good ol' government wipe our ass and tell us "no no" on the things that they feel we shouldn't do. We cant take care of ourselves anymore so thankfully we have them to show us what might hurt us.

Agreed. And besides, they can dismantle the bus if they'd like, but I doubt it would stop most people from going to see where Chris died. Sure, I'd like to see the bus sometime, but if it's gone by the time I get there, it's really not a big deal. I'd go bus or no bus.

stilltrekker

Postby stilltrekker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:04 am

I agree, a place that inspires people isn't dependent on man-made objects. Look at the Flight 93 site in Shanksville PA. For years, all it was was an open field, but people continued to make pilgrimages just to be there and stand in the shadow of the memory of those who gave their lives in heroism and those whose lives were taken from them.

bobenns

Postby bobenns » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:42 am

I think more have died trying to climb McKinley than will ever die trekking out to the bus. More have died on Highway 3 in accidentsw. They aren't about to close the mountain or the highway. The Parks Service has a legit concern with people wanting to trek out to the bus not being capable or prepared. But I'm sure they have to rescue more mountain climbers than bus hikers. The bus and its history brings people to the area who spend money for one thing. Perhaps some improvement for crossings on the trail is in order.
There is no greater scripture than nature, for nature is life itself.

flipflop

Postby flipflop » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 pm

PLEASE DON'T PULL THE BUS.
I agree the spot (with or without the bus) will for a long time be popular with all those who connect to Chris' story.....
but the bus sure is integral to Chris' journey - and that of many others since.

Bgreen

Postby Bgreen » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:20 am

the bus is not getting pulled, these are a bunch of lies being spewed by small weak minds.

Return to “The Magic Bus”