A few more questions...

General discussions relating to the story.
SteveSalmon

A few more questions...

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:03 am

Chris had a 'Colt Python Revolver' confiscated by the Border Patrol before being let back in the US after his Mexican canal misadventures. What was the origin of that gun? Where did he get it? Was it a gift from someone or a purchase? Same questions for the expensive watch he gave Jim Gallien. What's the story with the gun and the watch?
There was a Family mentioned in the Back To The Wild DVD that Chris met at the slabs and later saw in Montana. Who were they?
Did you know that Chris spoke his intentions of a temporary stay of "a few months" in the wild to Jim Gallien. It's right at the beginning of the book. More proof of the intention to return.
Why did Sean Penn leave Chris' love of photography out of his movie? Not even a camera reference.
Why was it important for Emile to acknowledge the camera in a few scenes including the one with the apple? (I've asked that one in another post but I thought I'd ask again here too)
Chris took the time to cover his car with a tarp. Did he intend to return later to pick it back up? Is there proof that Chris wrote the note calling the car "a piece of shit"? What if some other ranger/official wrote that to alert a coworker to remove it? Was the handwriting really Chris'?
Did Chris really have a problem with socks while working at McDonalds or was it simply because he could not afford any?
A guy and a girl from Anchorage found Chris' body first. What were their names? Are they still haunted by that day?
Did you know that Chris took more than one shot of himself holding the "God Bless All" note? He did, there are at least two different shots.
Take another look at the last three numbers on the Datsun's license plate. Now reverse them.
That's enough for now.

~Steve Salmon

fredmerlin

Re: A few more questions...

Postby fredmerlin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:29 pm

I really don't have any facts...but, I think the close camera shots in the movie are to bring you CLOSE to Chris, and his playful side. Free and Fun. That's what I felt @ that scene. I don't know why his camera didn't play a bigger role. Possibly because it portrays a tie with civilization? Was the camera in a shot, at one point, when he was burying his bagged items?

The reference to socks, could have been a fact about him. Or maybe just trying to show, again, freedom...personal freedom from SOCKS! The movie also shows his father without socks, at the end, stumbling into the street, overcome with grief. Maybe they had that in common, maybe not. But, I think it is a very moving scene. One that, perhaps MAY come close to how parents feel...showing terrible regret. We are just all human, after all....

I DO know about the SEVERAL pics taken at the end...I mentioned it a while back, here, in my question log. Sorry, I don't have more answers. They're all good questions...

Also, heh, was Chris left-handed? Emile is, but after seeing actual handwriting from Chris' journal, it seems he MAY also have been left-handed. OK, any answers for me? These are previous posts...THANK YOU.

Questions after reading Back To The Wild journals

Postby fredmerlin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:53 am

Just experienced the book "Back To The Wild". Breathtaking. Chris is a true artist. We can understand him a bit more by these pics.

Questions I have after reading:

1) entry #89; 'DREAM' What is written below? "2--- ---? 1 at the belt, 1 at the foot" And then " Gives----?"

2) To the right of the first column, in a dotted box with arrows pointing up and down; "Days 33-50, ----- -----?"

3) From "DEPART BUS", entry 67 to the end of the journal (Trek 12), huge gap in pics, and documentation, although journal itself has entries for each and every day. Editing choice?

4) Is the "Manifesto" on pg.192 a photo of the actual plywood Chris engraved?

Thanks!
fredmerlin Posts: 51Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:12 am

Re: Questions after reading Back To The Wild journals

Postby fredmerlin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:27 am

Also, it has been noted that Chris took only one pic of a particular scene. However, his 'last self-portrait' seems to be at least three different pictures. The one with him holding his final goodbye seems to be multiple shots. His hand, and hair and expression are very different in the three seperate pics I have seen. Anyone know the true behind this? The claim that it's one pic?

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey Fred, I didn't realize you and I made the same discovery regarding the final pic. That's very interesting that you believe it's three poses. I've noticed two so far.
Do you think that was intentional or perhaps the camera setting was on burst (snapping multiple shots) by accident etc.?
Anyway,
Here's the best I can come up with regarding the journal entries:

Day 89: Wood Pecker
Frog
Many Mushrooms
DREAM
2 Ifnity (Infinity) holes
1 at the belt
1 at the foot
Gives Frequency

Day 90: Red Fruit Bearberry
2nd Dream

Day 91: "Snowed on 91" or "No wind on 91"

Entry at right of first column: "Days 33-50" = " Don.? Dom.? By Bear Ber.(ry) " = Dominated by bearberries?

I have no answers for your editing choice question nor the manifesto question. Let me know what you think.

~Steve Salmon

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Steve, Seems very plausible to have had the camera shooting the last pics in quick succession. They DO look very similar. If you don't examine each one, and I think I've witnessed 3, the differences are subtle. I guess the one from the Back to the Wild Book, and 2 others online...not sure where else I would have seen them.

Thanks for your answers about the dreams. I thought 'infinity' also...whatever that might mean... Also 'Gives frequency' ... Dreams play such a huge part (I believe) in deciphering the mind. Wonder what these meant to Chris...

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:19 pm

No problem Fred. You and EllisD are the only other people I've known to catch that multiple pose. At one point, I thought there was different script written on the "god bless all" note too. My pal Erik zoomed in on the image and used his master computer skills to determine conclusively that it was just distortion of the letters and it was, in fact, the words of the "god bless all" note.

As far as those "Dream" entries, I can't seem to shake the idea of "belt and foot" relating to Orion. Maybe it was, maybe not.
I've determined too, that he used asterisks to represent the animals he saw during the day and not the animals he killed and ate.

There was a credo he seemed to have adopted too that you don't seem to hear much about. You'll find that among his notes as well. Do you know what Im referring to?

~Steve Salmon

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Ok, Steve, are you referring to his "Deliberate Living" comment on pg 148 of the Back To The Wild Book? And the "deliberate consciousness" comment made on Day 49, in the journal? (If so, the WIERDEST part of that is when you add the numbers involved here, you get 13!)

I DID also notice about the asterisks! WILD!

TimBoehmSHS

Postby TimBoehmSHS » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:44 pm

License plate SJF241
Reverse 241 and you get 142
The bus #142
It probably has nothing to do with it at all. its similar to the dark side of the moon album and wizard of Oz. Pink Floyd denies to this day that they did intended to have the two match up but by coincidence It is out minds just focusing on the part that's similar and just ignoring the part that does not make any sense. if we could ask macacndles if it meant anything he would probably be surprised at the fact that they match up. Just by the same way Pink Floyd was surprised that their album matched up with Dark side. We would insist it could not be a coincidence but the odds of it really have anything to with it is like hitting a bullet in mid flight with another bullet, While riding a horse, and blindfolded. Yea that's right i got Star Trek Goin up in here

TimBoehmSHS

Postby TimBoehmSHS » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 pm

License plate SJF241
Reverse 241 and you get 142
The bus #142
It probably has nothing to do with it at all. its similar to the dark side of the moon album and wizard of Oz. Pink Floyd denies to this day that they did intended to have the two match up but by coincidence It is out minds just focusing on the part that's similar and just ignoring the part that does not make any sense. if we could ask macacndles if it meant anything he would probably be surprised at the fact that they match up. Just by the same way Pink Floyd was surprised that their album matched up with Dark side. We would insist it could not be a coincidence but the odds of it really have anything to with it is like hitting a bullet in mid flight with another bullet, While riding a horse, and blindfolded. Yea that's right i got Star Trek Goin up in here

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:23 am

Tim welcome to the forum.
Allow me to clarify right here and now that I simply find the license plate and bus numbers an interesting coincidence and nothing more. Nice Floyd comparison though (great album too).
Im not sure what the Star Trek statement means/meant. (Im not a trekkie)

~Steve Salmon

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:40 am

SteveSalmon wrote:I simply find the license plate and bus numbers an interesting coincidence

That one's old anyway. I mentioned this ages ago, see http://www.christophermccandless.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4089&p=5750&hilit=142#p5750 (at the end of my post of Apr 23, 2011) :P

Return to “General Discussions”