What to do in the meantime?

General discussions relating to the story.
poppyallan

What to do in the meantime?

Postby poppyallan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:19 am

After reading Into The Wild and becoming obsessed with Chris' story I plan on having my own adventure after completing my education- finishing secondary (high) school and going to college/university. However I am starting to go mad- I want to escape and I am fed up of waiting. What can I do in the meantime to prepare for my adventure which will have to take place in many years to come? Should I prepare? Get in good physical condition!? I don't know!
Can someone help me- I want to keep this passion for adventure and escape but I cannot help wondering if society's expectations will get the better of me!
Thank you very much!

Ardhrandir

Re: What to do in the meantime?

Postby Ardhrandir » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:05 pm

A friend of mine and me are planning on heading out in a few years as well, so I get where you're coming from.
At the moment we're also looking for more people to join us, so that's also what keeps us occupied, but I know that's not enough to fill in the time in a productive way.

My advice would be to pick up a martial art that not only focusses on combat, but also improving yourself physically as a whole as well as mentally.
Try and keep improving yourself everyday. What I also do is reading books from real life adventurers, which serve as a great source of inspiration as well as knowledge.
A good read is Walking the Amazon by Ed Stafford. Currently I'm reading about the travels of Ibn Battutah, which come recommended as well.
In my opinion it's key that you pick non-fictional stories, because those have the greatest gems of wisdom hidden in them and you'll encounter things you wouldn't have thought of yourself.
That all serves as a good preparation. I myself won't be able to do so until next year, but also go hiking and experience nature.
Try to experience everything in a safe environment, because you will run into things you wouldn't have expected.
Just find yourself some goals which you don't necessarily need to reach, but that will drive you keep improving.
Stay out of your comfort zone, which will keep your mind sharp and will provide you with ample opportunities to learn.

This is just my take on it, but I hope it's somehow useful to you.
Contact me whenever you want, it's always nice to talk and discuss things with people in a similar situation.

All the best!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”Mark Twain

Gleedaniel13

Postby Gleedaniel13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:27 pm

I think you should have to go for an outing or a vacation in a place you never been too. That is a very fulfilling experience we can have. :D
Web Design Integration

PasoPedro

Postby PasoPedro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:57 am

If You want to be serious about surviving in the wild, you will need to read up on your plant species and read Tom Brown's Survival book. Tom is a survival guide and teacher. My father and brother went to his school in northern New Jersey, in the mountains that is. Tom was taught by an Apache Indian tracker. He is very good. You will also need to learn how to live off the land, how to trap, hunt, forage etc. My dad and brother were fishermen, hunters and trappers, so I learned a lot about survival from them, but I still don't think I know enough about it to be successful at it. My brother has dedicated his life to living as close as he can to it and there were times when we thought he won't make it back from his excursions when he was out in the deepest and coldest of winter. He now knows what wild plants are editable at what time of the year. So, that is very important. It is important to know what plants are good to eat, but when they are. At different times of the year wild plants will go through phases or transitions. At different points in time they can be healthy, editable or even medicinal. At other times they can turn deadly. I am studying Traditional Chinese Medicine and it is all about herbal healing that is conducted around the seasons with plants that belong to given seasons. It would be wise to read up on that as well. Best to you and God Bless All!!!
"Our destinies are the culmination of all the choices we've made along the way, which is why it's imperative to listen hard to your inner voice when it speaks up. Don't let anyone else's noise drown it out." -Megan McCaffarty

Wbhsjchang

Postby Wbhsjchang » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:19 pm

I think you should prepare for your journey! Not everyone can be as lucky as Chris. You just have to have faith in people who help you. That's one of the biggest things. Chris was brave to get into strangers cars and live with them. He didn't know if they were murderers or rapist, but he chose to the see good in them.

Elenochkafogueddy

What to do in the meantime

Postby Elenochkafogueddy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:11 pm

what is the best yellow opt for doing a combo?
Дивергент глава 3 За стеной (2016) http://vk.cc/4T0qGq

Return to “General Discussions”