I NOW WALK INTO THE WILD

General discussions relating to the story.
jenny-intothewild

I NOW WALK INTO THE WILD

Postby jenny-intothewild » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Hello, I know i'm young, 18years old actually and chris is such an inspiration to me and not many people i know have seen this film and i would love to do something like travelling on the road making it my home. Firstly, i want to go on the camino, the camino de santiago but only i want to start from the top of france and then walk all the way to the end of spain, no hitch hiking though. Then after that i'm going to walk/ hitch hike some of europe, living as a 'supertramp' like chris. From there i want to go to america and walk/ hitchhike that (thats if i make it) However, i'm saving money to help fulfil my dream because england isnt an easy place to get out of. After i have done this i hope to then write a book. Is anyone interested in knowing more? Maybe joining me in about 4 years? Just let me know if your interested, Thanks, Yours, jenny

Lonestar2013

Re: I NOW WALK INTO THE WILD

Postby Lonestar2013 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 am

1. You haven't begun to understand this story until you have read the book. The movie is beautiful and powerful but is in no way a substitute for the book.

Now...
2. "Jenny"? You're a female? It would be the same if you were male, but it is even more the case if you are female: under no circumstances will you hitch-hike in the US (if you ever make it here). It is absurd that you don't want to hitch in Europe, where it is basically safe, and you do want to hitch in the US, where you are almost certainly going to be robbed and/or raped and/or murdered if you do.
3. England is the easiest place to get out of all.
4. When I was 18 I went to Europe and hitched and even did a big part of the Camino. Trust me, the Camino is a mediocre idea of a journey. There is so, so much more to do and see than follow the Camino (unless you're a religious nut, in which case, it's all yours).
5. I'm going to re-iterate something for you. The US in 1992 was perhaps the last time it was ever safe to hitch in the country. In 2013, you are a suicidal moron to try it. This is reality.

Besides all that--I wish you luck on your adventures!

benjifrank

Postby benjifrank » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 am

Hey Lonestar, it seems like you have very good knowledge about Camino. I was thinking similar like jenny. But after your reply I am thinking of change my planning.

Lost Soul

Postby Lost Soul » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Lonestar2013 wrote:2. "Jenny"? You're a female? It would be the same if you were male, but it is even more the case if you are female: under no circumstances will you hitch-hike in the US (if you ever make it here). It is absurd that you don't want to hitch in Europe, where it is basically safe, and you do want to hitch in the US, where you are almost certainly going to be robbed and/or raped and/or murdered if you do.

I have to agree with this. Its extremely dangerous for a single young woman to be hitchhiking in the US. Obviously its not like that everywhere in the US, but the odds are to high to chance it. Your best bet is to find a male companion to go with. I'm sure there are message boards with others looking to do the same as you. Check them out, and find a good companion.

The worst place to hitch through would be truck stops. There are ALWAYS people lurking there to take advantage of transients. If you are really intent on traveling alone grab a scooter, or some kind of super cheap transportation. Never tell people you're alone. Tell them you're meeting your boyfriend, ect. Beware of people asking personal questions. Keep things general. Bring a bogus credit card so if you get robbed they dont need you to go with them to an ATM. Hide your real ATM card under the sole inside of your shoe. Never carry more than $20 in cash. Also a good idea to get some pepper-spray, and hang it around your neck. Keep an extra battery for your phone, and have 911 on speed dial. Its better to mistakenly call 911 in a good situation, than to hesitate in a real emergency situation, and lose your chance at getting help.

As with any trip do the research before you leave. Have a backup plan, and always leave yourself an out in case things dont turn out the way you planned them to.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

PasoPedro

Postby PasoPedro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 am

Oh Jenny, if you are still checking in on these posts, please heed the words by Lonestar2013 and Lost Soul. When I was much younger then you, I left home with some friends to get away from everything, and like Chris, I didn't tell my folks. They worried sick over it. Their teenage daughter was out there, just where, they didn't have a clue. There was little they could do. Thank God I survived. All I know is I had some very powerful guardian angels watching over me, as I was around people that where running from the law just as much as my friends and I were running from our demons and dungeons called responsibility. At anytime I could have been seriously injured or even killed. When I finally came to the realization of just how dangerous it really was, I allowed my mother to contact me. I then agreed to come home. I knew life would not be good if I didn't return home.

Well, there is only 1 year and 11 months difference in age between Chris and me, but I can still relate to just leaving it all behind. My dragons are with me. They haven't left my side. Nor have they left by brother's side either. He lives on the outer fringes of society - like an outcast because all he wants is to be is free. Free from the pain that dwells within a trapped soul. The unquenchable need to be set free.

Guess it is that freedom that draws us all to Chris. It is he's great big daring, enduring, and captivating spirit. It's like he did this in our behalf because he was brave enough to take society on - all by himself. However, Mother Nature had other plans. She giveth, she taketh away. We have to respect her for that and she took Chris into her arms for forever more.

Jenny, your life has deep meaning too. Don't take the risk of trying to hitchhike here in the US. You have a rich enduring life yet to lead. God Bless you!
"Our destinies are the culmination of all the choices we've made along the way, which is why it's imperative to listen hard to your inner voice when it speaks up. Don't let anyone else's noise drown it out." -Megan McCaffarty

jenny-intothewild

Postby jenny-intothewild » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:44 pm

I don't want to go to the US. It is dirty and disgusting. And hey lonestar its my life I will chose to do whatever I feel like I need to do, also I was never planning on leaving alone. Otherwise I would never put the post.
Life is a gift and so is the world. I can do whatever I wish, I don't abide by rules but I do abide by morals.

Return to “General Discussions”