Spirituality and the natural world.

General discussions relating to the story.
Gary Pressman

Spirituality and the natural world.

Postby Gary Pressman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:20 pm

For most of my youth and middle age I worked as a Game Ranger and hunter in Southern Africa.The call of the wild is as powerfull as any drug and can be just as dangerous.The African bush has a almost hypnotic effect and often we have seen people come out on Safari,return to thier old lives,chuck it all in and return.Most of the time it works but sometimes the circling vultures and Hyena tracks show us it doesnt always.
I myself have felt the pull and the hypnotic effect of the treetops in the distance.Often grabbed a decent calibre rifle and went into the bush.Returning happy and well fed yet chastened and humble.
Like Icarus and the sun,fly too close and you will get burned.
Chris responded to a call that only through silence and listening we can hear.

PasoPedro

Re: Spirituality and the natural world.

Postby PasoPedro » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:05 am

Gary,

I like the title of this subject thread. It would be good to discuss the relationship between nature and spirituality. Many yogis, Qi Gong masters and native peoples seek nature to find answers in their quests for enlightenment. This is very fascinating and I'd like to read what experiences others had had and/or reflections on what they think Chris might have experienced during his ordeal.

Me, I believe he (Christopher) had a profound realization. I believe in the last days/hours/minutes he was touched deeply by the Great Spirit, that he felt the interconnectiveness with nature and with all beings; and that he felt at peace and was sanctified. He was on a journey and not just a moral, righteousness kind of self proving need to fulfill a life-long dream, it was more of a spiritual coming-of-age, finding-yourself-and-finding-the-big-answers to life's questions kind of journey. For Chris, it was I am able to do this because I can! What he didn't realize is that this life adventure was bigger than he could ever imagine. For that it had grave consequences for. If Chris had survived it, he could have been a great leader and teacher. He would have been able to put to words the thoughts, feelings and experiences he had. To interpret his spiritual awareness to help to guide us as we navigate on our own journeys.

There is so much yet to learn about Chris's journey and how it relates to our own unquenched desires and quiet longing. Most of us here on the forum are cut from that same piece of cloth: we are seekers, dreamers, adventurers, extremists. We cannot be contained by the mundane, subservient roles as dictated by society. We need to feel and be bigger than what our culture has to offer. We need to experience life to the full and seek answers to the questions no one else dares to ask. We are bigger than this world. I dare to ask and push towards the edge, do you?
"Our destinies are the culmination of all the choices we've made along the way, which is why it's imperative to listen hard to your inner voice when it speaks up. Don't let anyone else's noise drown it out." -Megan McCaffarty

SteveSalmon

Re: Spirituality and the natural world.

Postby SteveSalmon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:25 pm

"Chris died living." is probably the best line I've ever read written about him. A pure succinct definition.

~Steve Salmon

Return to “General Discussions”