Am I crazy for this?

General discussions relating to the story.
goombla

Am I crazy for this?

Postby goombla » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:57 am

I had posted on this site about 2 years ago, optimistic about going on a trip across the US upon high school graduation. I soon found this idea quite a bit out of my league and I clearly wasnt ready for the trip at the time. I cancelled the trip completely, and hope to do something similar in several more years.
However, I recently decided on doing a much shorter trip this coming spring break from central florida to the border of georgia. I plan to take my Australian Shepherd with me as company. This will be my very first backpacking trip. Ive never even gone camping before due to my highly over protective parents. I mentioned my 5 day plan to them, and they went absolutely nuts. They insist that I will not be allowed on going on the trip and that I am crazy for thinking of such a thing. I am almost 19, so I certainly dont have to worry about what they say, but I do, and I would much rather they have peace of mind while im out.

Anyway, my point is:
Is my idea really as far out there as my parents think? It seems like such a short backpacking trip compared to what many others do.

fredmerlin

Re: Am I crazy for this?

Postby fredmerlin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 am

No, you are NOT 'crazy'! You are also not a parent, so, you really won't grasp how they feel until you are...AND, it will not matter how old you are, they will always worry. Being a parent, and having felt the way you do, I can 'see' both sides. It is the hardest thing a parent will do, to let go. But, they must, to reach the next level of your wonderful bond. Having your trusty friend with you is a great idea. Also, if you plan to bring your phone (and who goes ANYWHERE without it...) you can call them once or twice to say HI. This way, it's kind of a compromise on both ends. Next trip, you go farther, longer, and call less. You have to ease parents into realizing you are a young adult. They need to start trusting they have done a good job, raising you, and you will make the best decision you can at that time. Take your time, and be safe!

SteveSalmon

Postby SteveSalmon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Goombla,
I agree with Fred, until you are a parent, you will never know the worry that goes along with your children and their safety. However, eventually everyone will adjust. It is best to call your parents on occasion to let them know you're Ok. Setting up a system of calling them will ease their mind (to a certain degree) and also serve as a necessary warning that something may be wrong if they don't hear from you. I traveled a lot, especially at 19 and my parents always wanted to hear from me on Sundays. While traveling or hiking I would advise calling more frequently and giving some idea of where you intend to travel. No need for specifics, but just a general idea of where and when you'll be traveling. The last thing you want if something happens to you and you need help is no one knowing where you are and when you were supposed to be back. Knowing that someone will eventually come looking for you, is a key element in keeping a positive attitude and mental state, which is also a key element in surviving an unfortunate situation.
Ok now with all that said. My next piece of advice, if you want it, is to go out back into your backyard and use all the gear you intend to take with you. In addition to all that gear, bring something to write with and something to write on. Take notes as you overnight in your backyard. What do you need? What don't you need? Pillow? Extra layer of clothing? Sleeping pad? How comfortable is your sleeping bag? Test run a rainy night set up of your tent. The goal of course would be to get the thing set up and placed correctly so that you stay warm and dry inside. If you get caught in the rain before you set up camp, and especially after a long day of hiking, life gets real, real fast. If you get caught in the rain while in your tent, it's not as bad but, it's still a scenario that must be thought of and practiced before hand.
Taking your dog with you is a great idea, but, don't forget to take into account his/her food as well as the extra water.
Carry a weapon with you as well. If you can't bring a gun, bring at least a decent knife. The dog is great security but, not better than a weapon.
The most important rule is to never let anyone talk you out of doing something you want to do. Take advice that applies to your intentions and leave the negative opinions of others behind you. You can do whatever you put your mind to as long as you take the time to prepare yourself as best you can. Those without courage are the biggest critics you'll ever meet. So get out there and go see what's beyond the next bend in the trail. Your parents will always worry, but, they'll also be proud of you and your accomplishments. It takes time but, you'll see what I mean.
Best wishes and happy trails and travels,
~Steve

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 am

Great advice Steve. I suppose I have forgotten about camping 101 since it's been a while that I've been in a tent! And waterproofing that tent is a MUST! Great point about the dog food and water. Especially a big dog, like the Australian Shepherd will need alot of provisions. I kinda disagree about the weapon, however. A weapon can be taken and used against you. I wish it wouldn't matter if goombla was male or female, but in a knife fight, chances are 'she' would loose. An unfortunate fact of life. The odds are against a female in a close combat fight. And, I really thought about this from the first question: 'Am I crazy for this?' Would we give the same advice to a daughter, as a son? Again, I wish it to be so, but the facts remain. Alot of women may be seen BY SOCIETY as 'crazy' for going out on their own adventures. Some even thought this of Chris, but I think for other reasons aside from just physical endurance or strength. Don't get me wrong, I mean in a hand fight with larger, stronger opposition.

Have fun, goombla, and be safe. Seems like you have a few 'parents' in this forum as well!

bones

Postby bones » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 pm

I also wanted to do a longer trip but realized I wasnt ready, so I did a 3 day backpacking trip solo. It was my first trip backpacking trip ever. It was fun and I learned a lot. My parents werent that nervous about me going, but they would have been able to get me if something went wrong. Its understandable that they are worried because being alone makes everything more dangerous.

Heres what I learned on my trip:

Know if you will have cell phone service. If you dont, then look into emergency GPS locators.

Plan on walking slowly. Walking with a heavy pack is tiring and makes it hard to balance.

Falling is the most dangerous thing that is likely to happen. [Even on flat ground]

Do an overnight trip just to get used to using your equipment. Youll probably pack too many things if you dont know what you need.

A detailed map is extremely useful.

And most importantly.... bring lots of TP.

goombla

Postby goombla » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 am

Wow thanks for the words of wisdom everyone.

I do plan to call my parents nightly, And my dog has a neat little backpack which he carries his own food in on hikes, so no problem there.
I honestly wouldve forgotten TP had you not mentioned it, bones.
And luckily, I am male.

My biggest hobby is skateboarding so I plan to bring my board along for any long boring roads or for when my legs get sore, although i'm worried it may add too much extra weight when i'm not riding. I will have to do an over-nighter, as you all mentioned to see what I will really need.
thanks again!
Any other tips will be greatly appreciated :)

goombla

Postby goombla » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:57 am

Quick Question to anyone whos experienced in backpacking...
where should i sleep? I have a tent and a sleeping bag, but do i just post up wherever? I want to avoid any trouble from cops and the nearest camp grounds i can find are about 20 miles away from where i am starting.

Moose200x

Postby Moose200x » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:26 am

Bing "Stealth camping"

Return to “General Discussions”