Kayaking the Colorado River documentary

General discussions relating to the story.
bones

Kayaking the Colorado River documentary

Postby bones » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:13 am

I found a really cool documentary about a couple of guys who kayak down the entire Colorado River. All I had to say was "WOW." :shock: The scenery was amazingly beautiful and I cant wait to go out there and see it for myself some day. It shows the area that Chris went down, and although it probably looked a lot different 20 years ago its cool to see what he saw. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, skip to around 33:00 minutes in if you're just interested in the area from Into the Wild. It also talks about the affect that all the water we drain from it has on the ecology. I recommend watching the whole thing, and in HD if your computer is fast enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8CXQkXlYg8

Remains of a River: Full-Length Film

GoNorth

Re: Kayaking the Colorado River documentary

Postby GoNorth » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:23 am

bones wrote: It shows the area that Chris went down,

Do you mean the area Chris went down with his canoe (without rapids) or the part shown in the movie, that Emile Hirsch did with the kayak?

bones

Postby bones » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 pm

It shows both parts, but focuses more on the upper section of the river, probably because the lower section is less scenic since it has a lot of development. About 20 minutes of it is about the area in Arizona and Mexico.

fredmerlin

Postby fredmerlin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35 am

What a beautiful trip! I kept thinking 'Where'd the financing come for such a trip of a lifetime'? But, I digress... There are some very HIGH highs, and many very LOW lows, such as at the end of the River. In my mind, I pictured the River, in it's entirety. It parallels Chris' life so well. The end, however is always so devastating, and leaves an empty feeling of regret and absence. Thank you for sharing such a rare encounter with the River.

Return to “General Discussions”