Back to civilization (for the time being).

General discussions relating to the story.
Ascetic

Back to civilization (for the time being).

Postby Ascetic » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Hey all!

Well, I thought I'd take some time to update everyone on my trip. I packed up back in June and hit the road heading west. I ended up making my way to Wyoming, which is where I spent the majority of my time. I wanted to steer clear of the tourist areas like Yellowstone, so I opted for Bighorn National Forest near Buffalo instead. It was FANTASTIC!

Living in the wild was better than I could ever have expected. The people I met along the way were really nice to me. I camped out in a single person tent wherever I could find a decent spot. One night, I awoke to what I think was a bear or a wolf just outside my tent (I didn't actually see it, but it was making a low growling sound as it circled me). But that's as harrowing as things ever got.

The journey for me was spiritual in a sense. When you're alone, in the wilderness, pitted against the elements, you sort of have to put your faith in a higher power (I did anyway). I'm Catholic by religion, and it was a time for me to sort of reconnect with my faith.

Being in the wild also taught me a lot about myself. I'm stronger and braver than I ever thought I was. I'm also waaaaaay too dependent on modern technology. We are so pampered.

Oh, and being in the wild is extremely dirty business. I went days sometimes without showering, or getting the chance to bath. And I'm not used to walking around with dirt under my fingernails.

In the end, I decided to return to civilization. I know what you might be thinking: he couldn't handle it, so he quit. Not exactly. The trip crystallized a few things for me, particularly, that if I want to live in the wild, it's definitely doable, but it's also something that should be planned for a bit better. I'm a teacher by profession, so it was easy for me to come back to the Midwest, find a job, and fall right back into my old way of life. But every time I think of Bighorn, I get this deeply homesick feeling in the pit of my stomach. What I want to do now is plan a way to move back out west. With some financial planning, I think I could buy or lease some land in Wyoming, build a rustic cabin (my hermitage), and make a living by either writing, or publishing (ala Dan Price). Or, I can do something else.

The truth is, I had romanticized Chris' trip out west. And while being in the wild affected me profoundly, it was also really difficult. I spent a lot of time sun burned, hungry, and dirty. But I also saw some of the most beautiful places in North America. And I experienced the momentary freedom of a life without an itinerary.

I want to experience it again. My first trip was just my "baby steps." I've already grown a lot . . . next summer I'll be sprinting!

Ascetic.

ianharlen

Re: Back to civilization (for the time being).

Postby ianharlen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm glad you spent some time in the wild, and especially that you want to return to do it again. As someone with a life-long passion for wilderness travel, I have never felt that I was "pitted against" nature in any way, even when clinging to rock walls by my finger-tips, or perched on steep glaciers, or when alone for ten days at a stretch. My ongoing goal is to feel myself "blending in" with nature and natural processes, and learning to do that as gracefully as I can; for example, by leaving little or no trace of my passage. It has been a great journey so far, and along the way I have never felt the need pray to or consult with any "supernatural," which are, of course, figments of one's imagination. Best of luck to you in the wild, Ian.

Return to “General Discussions”