What do you think

General discussions relating to the story.
Nitzan

What do you think

Postby Nitzan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:16 am

I'm new here, and while I was looking in this forum I kept seeing all sorts of attempts to understand chris.
And I like that, Chris is quite a riddle and he had this huge effect over most of our lives - Yet I couldn't help wondering what do you stand for, how do you relate or believe in some great Ideas of life you can't stop thinking about after watching the movie, or reading the book for the matter of fact.

Like your belief in church or such religious institute as church,
or what do you think about Happiness or how far would you go to find truth.

I'm pretty sure we all were thinking about this. There are some great questions of life lay in there.
Most of these things indicates our own values, our truth and way of living. And that's very interesting - I'm not even sure how much we know ourselves to answer that.

So, how about we start small.
A quote from the movie, book or even soundtrack and what do you think of it

fredmerlin

Re: What do you think

Postby fredmerlin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am

Of course, I feel what I 'think' is of great importance in this world, but of no importance simutaneously. I have very definate feelings and opinions on mostly everything, but, unless there is support for those feelings, one may feel cut off, a disconnect from all they seem to hold dear. I relate to Chris in many ways, the prior being a major parallel. One can have many friends and family members, yet be so alone in this world. That being typed, it does not mean one IS alone. Some of us are perfectly happy, most of the time, being solitary creatures.

The quiet, peacefulness of Nature allows every human to reconnect with the great mysteries of life. There can be no definate 'answer' that applies to all. That's why some love Chris, and some cannot understand his choices. For me, the pot boils down to respect of, and compassion for one another. With family, that is the hardest 'dance' , because sometimes we feel we know what is best for someone. Respect, compassion, love.

I think mostly of a scene from the movie to be one of my favorite moments. That is the scene where Chris is awestuck, eyes full of tears, at the beauty embracing him in the wild. If anyone has 'been there', they know how profound and connected one can feel, in the wild.

I have recently read the 'Back To The Wild' journals and photos from Chris' experience as Alexander Supertramp. Breathtaking is what the pictures are, a true artist. And THAT is another aspect of Chris that many can't understand. His creative spirit was driving him. And that can be a very powerful force. We all should respect that he was brave enough to act upon it.

awakemysoul

Re: What do you think

Postby awakemysoul » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 pm

I just finished reading Into the Wild for the second time, though several years have past since my last reading it. I have aged since then, had more children, & have suffered the loss of a child as well. I am much more moved by the book this time around, although I had thought it moved me upon my first reading. Perhaps it has just hit my heartstrings differently this time. I sit here perplexed after finishing the book, with a heavy chest; spreading from my throat to my guts. I can't help but feel soo saddened for Chris (Alex). I get it that he was doing what he loved & states he was happy, I still am left with such an emotional upset...and what blows my mind, that now, 20 years later, he still is making an impact & an imprint on this earth. Just amazing! I just wish that I could of been there with him in his final days, hours, moments; whenever it was he lay there helpless, & hold him. Just for him to have human touch, warmth when he left his body behind. An embrace to give him the kind of nurturing, happiness, & love that nature is unable to provide, amidst its vastness & harsh conditions. I'm sure it is similar to feelings his own mother has, & I mean no disrespect & certainly do not mean to overstep my boundaries. As a recent mother with the loss of my son, I was fortunate enough to get to be with him & hold him. I am soo thankful for that time & wish Billie & Chris could have had the same. I am awestruck at his curiosity, his desire to grow, his wanders, the lives he passed through, his journeys...what I find more intriguing, is the between the lines. The trials & events thats been left untold. I smile while thinking of what all he could have done with all that time, undocumented. So, Chris (Alex), I hope my son runs into you & you boys can share some adventures in your next journey in the wild. Luv & peace find you both.

Return to “General Discussions”