actually LIVING IN THE WOODS??

General discussions relating to the story.
kingdomdayz777

actually LIVING IN THE WOODS??

Postby kingdomdayz777 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 am

i'm in my 20's, and when i get a house for my own, i don't want the typical suburban house, with a fence, yard, dog, etc.

i would rather live in nature; in the woods!

and i'm talking smaller than a cabin:

just like a 1 or 2 room place where i can sleep and store my stuff. enough room for me and friends, or my wife.

i plan on traveling a lot, and want a place where i don't have to worry about monthly payments etc. no plumbing, electricity, or any of that, just a small wooden structure in the woods..

where/how would i go about doing that?

pezar

Re: actually LIVING IN THE WOODS??

Postby pezar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:00 pm

You need a place that you can put on land without the "authorities" knowing. I am looking into land in Oregon. I have noted that Klamath County, for example, regulates "stick" structures (with foundations) and forbids trailers (wheeled RVs). However, the law says nothing about a SHIPPING CONTAINER! Yes, like the ones used to ship stuff from China. I think that's a loophole big enough to drive a truck (with a container loaded on the back) through. I found a place in Grants Pass that will make an 8x20 shipping container into a small cabin for $7k. They only deliver to Oregon, though. They're called Little Houses of Oregon. Look up their Facebook page for an idea of what they offer. You can also buy a plain old container and build a cabin inside it yourself.

Husky

Postby Husky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:29 pm

I don't know about the other states but Alaska still has a lot of rural areas where you can buy land and have no property tax, no building codes and almost no regulations on land use at all other than restrictions on criminal activity and federally managed stuff like EPA regs on watersheds.

Denali borough (county) is one of those places. It is where Stampede Road is located. In fact, you could buy the cabin on 8 Mile Lake right now for $95,000. Maybe your parents would loan you the money? http://www.alaskarealestate.com/Search/Property/PropertyDetail.aspx?cid=YtRZAWGIwnF9lOte19QIhQ==&li=ZfkQkSoWti3RV+li4JTtTA==&rpp=10&esf=MkE3QQ

I'd suggest traveling to some of the more remote National Park areas to look for a home base property. They are usually in nice natural settings with like minded people and plenty of seasonal work.

You can build a one room cabin of 12 by 16 for less than $5,000 once you get a piece of land. Check out that website I listed above for other vacant land properties to get an idea of what is available in Alaska.

Good luck!
Here we are in the years
Where the showman shifts the gears
Lives become careers
Children cry in fear
Let us out of here! Neal Young

Don't let fear stand in the way.
There's nothing to it
but to do it! Husky

kingdomdayz777

Postby kingdomdayz777 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:10 pm

yeah! its kinda hard to find online.. i was thinking somewhere where its reasonably warm year round; oregon, california, tennessee..

i just want a home the size of like a bathroom!

nagro

Postby nagro » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:50 pm

you should check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDMhuhi178

the guy lived in a tree house and survived off rabbits and squirrels. i think he built the house on one of his relatives property. it would be hard to build a shelter on public land and not get caught even if its remote, unless you plan on staying for only a little while. i think your best options are either find a relative or friend with land, find a commune and live with the people there, or buy a small plot of cheap land and build a small house. i think the last option is the best, for a few thousand dollars you can have a house, land, and a way to make your own food. and its legal.

http://www.landcentral.com/

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sa=X&ei=8TuXT6_CFamL0QGBiMy-Dg&ved=0CDkQvwUoAQ&q=self+sufficient+living&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ff42559d799f52a1

kingdomdayz777

Postby kingdomdayz777 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:15 am

hahaha wow thats intense! i don't mean to live off the land. i'm to picky to do that!

haha, somewhere "off the grid".. but also somewhere where i'm somewhat near civilization.. like a few hours away.

:) does anyone have any other opinions on living in nature VS living in society??

i think a lot of people on here would prefer the solitude of nature?

Susanna

Postby Susanna » Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I'd love to do that! Sounds perfect, and I'd love to learn how to live of the nature and stop being picky me and just eat what I can find that is edible and healthy

kingdomdayz777

Postby kingdomdayz777 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:07 am

yea definitely susanna! i'm from the united states, but i was actually in norway last June.. incredible place! i was in narvik, tysfjord, and evenes! went camping for a few weeks totally off the grid in the middle of nowhere!

i bet you love it there!!!

Return to “General Discussions”