"Happiness only real when shared"

General discussions relating to the story.
AthenaLuna

"Happiness only real when shared"

Postby AthenaLuna » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:05 am

It's a two part question.
1. Did Christopher actually write or say "Happiness only real when shared" or is it just in the movie?
2. What does it mean to you?

Moose200x

Re: "Happiness only real when shared"

Postby Moose200x » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 am

1. I believe he wrote it but not 100% sure. However he underlines this passage:

"and so it turned out only a life similar to the life of those around jus,merging with it without a ripple, is genuine life, and that an unshared happiness is not happiness"

~ Dr. Zhivago, Boris Pasternak

Source: Back to the Wild book

What it means to me: We are social creatures and enjoy sharing our stories. I believe he thought all his stories of amazing adventures would be lost with his death. It's sad he has no idea how many people he inspired.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Yes, he underlined the passage and added the note "happiness only real when shared", but as far as we can know, he did not write this at the very end of his life, but about 3 weeks earlier, at least that's when he finished reading the book, according his own notes.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:40 am

This one line is one of the ones that really stuck with me. For a very long time, over the last 5-6 years, most of my life. My experiences, my travels have all been alone.

While I have done things I love, and felt unencumbered by others, at the same time, I have no one to reminisce about those times with.

While there are many things I do that I enjoy, and bring such happiness. As soon as ity's gone, it's gone forever, most times.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

apollo

Postby apollo » Thu May 24, 2012 12:14 am

I'm also trying to find out if this was actually written or just written for the movie. I tried going through the book to find the exact spot of where he underlined and added the quote, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone confirm/deny?

fairytrixy

Postby fairytrixy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:31 am

On page 169 there is a passage about Chris completing Tolstoy's "Family Happiness" It looks like he may have written...
"He was right in saying that the only certain happiness in life is to live for others..."

then the passage from Tolstoy...
"I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness..."
the quote is longer so check out a copy of Into the Wild to view the remainder of Tolstoy's passage.

I agree that happiness is more meaningful when shared with others. Not everyone is able to do so. I think that as much as Chris wanted to own such a value, he had no ability to follow through. He did distance himself from everyone. Intamacy is needed(not physical but personal) to share true happiness, and all of the other emotions that wea all experience. Chris seemed happy when he was alone, and I hope that in his final breaths he was able to send energetically his love to those who he made happy.
I have not ever seen the film.
Happiness is something that we choose to share or not...

someguy

Postby someguy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 am

I've found this forum by chance and just had to write this down; I'm sure most people here understand what I'm talking about...

"Happiness only real when shared" is what I take home from Into the wild...

This is what I included in my speech to my wife when I married her, 2 days ago. In fact, it was the core of my speech. It sums up what I have come to understand in life. I'm 32 now, I'm together with my wife for about 10 years, we have 2 daughters (4 & 3). My life before her was one of total freedom, rebellion, and solitude preferably all alone in nature and I was happy; restlessly in search of the most purest moments and places. I have also felt what Chris must have felt when he had this epiphany; it is not enough to just find these moments and places yourself, you need to share it to make it real.

I'm a restless guy, I want to be away from all the shit, I want purity, I want to be alone; there is a part of me that will always feel like this. My wife has to deal with this, there is no point in playing pretend, she knows it and I love her deeply because she understands. I know it cannot easy for her to accept that.

I've used this quote to reconcile these 2 sides of me: the restless, selfish side and the part that knows it's pointless to go solo. I've used the quote to tell her I want to share everything with her; when the feeling of "unrest" is creeping in again, I remember this quote and realize it's a romantic fiction to hunt out solo in search of purity.

I've enjoyed "Into the wild" and willingly got carried away with the romantic atmosphere, but I've come to understand it's a fiction, you cannot achieve perfect happiness when going solo...

(goddamnit, writing this makes me all emotional again :))

Return to “General Discussions”