Is This Life TRULY Possible?

General discussions relating to the story.
CabinLife

Is This Life TRULY Possible?

Postby CabinLife » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:31 pm

of course the movie makes it seem easy, but upon thinking about it, it seems a tad harder than i thought.

i think this lifestyle is only for people who don't care about money, security (a HUGE hurdle for most), and cleanliness.

but on the up-side, you have:

-adventure
- freedom (not 9-5 slavery)
- fun
- memories
- a fully lived life!!

pezar

Re: Is This Life TRULY Possible?

Postby pezar » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:28 pm

As we all know, Chris went several days at a time without eating rather than use money. I think that hitchhiking is a lot more dangerous now than it was in Chris's day, I think our own time is similar to the 60s when serial killers cruised the highways looking for victims. I think the big issue now is that the powers that be have tightened the noose a LOT, so to speak, so that dropping off the face of the earth like Chris did is nearly impossible now. Cops are a lot more willing to arrest and abuse hitchhikers than they were 20 years ago, and police departments have become "militarized", and they can arrest you now for simply not carrying ID.

If you look at the photo of the Datsun's license plate, you'll see that the Virginia year sticker is gone, and the book says that Chris hadn't registered the vehicle in two years. Nowadays that alone (not having a year sticker on your plate) is justification for the cops pulling you over and arresting you, yet nobody bothered Chris. In fact, in California if you fail to have your car properly registered and insured, it is impounded and you have to pay the fees (plus hefty storage fees) to get it back. A computer automatically "flags" your plate if you fail to pay the fees, and the cops just come and take your car right out of your driveway. So in that sense, yeah doing exactly what Chris did is nearly impossible. That's why I decided to live in the wild instead.

goombla

Re: Is This Life TRULY Possible?

Postby goombla » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:32 am

i agree with pezar.

Its a lot more dangerous. The world has changed a lot from those years.
But most deff possible. Anything is possible!

Return to “General Discussions”