Walking into the wild

General discussions relating to the story.
Wedelen64

Walking into the wild

Postby Wedelen64 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:45 pm

On my property for 4 days, practicing skills.

goombla

Re: Walking into the wild

Postby goombla » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:27 am

Let us know how it went!

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:48 pm

It was an interesting exercise. I had to wait for the rain to end. The rain ended. Then I went to load up on Chinese buffet before heading into the bush. As I was driving back to the trail that leads to my property I started feeling bad so I stopped at the big grocery store chain store and didnt leave the bathroom for an hour and a half(food poisoning). I spent quite a lot of time trying not to puke while the "poison" spun around in my stomach. Finally I was relieved(through the "south port"). Puking was not an option due to the dehydration it would have caused and then starting over with a dead empty stomach. So I made it back to the trail and then stayed in my car for the next 12 hours getting up periodically to "squat in the woods". The good news is you really dont feel the cold when you are in a panic to "squat". The only other incident I had was the first night in my tent I was so bundled up with 2 sleeping bags (in a very small one man tent) that I woke up and couldnt move and that set off some mild claustrophobia. I then took the rain fly off my tent and left the tent shell unzipped. This is when I learned that "hypothermia kicks claustrophobia's ASS". I woke up about an hour later frozen to the bone. So then the rain fly went back on and the tent got zipped up and no more claustrophobia for the trip. I did learn one very important lesson regarding starting a fire with magnesium and flint. They say you need to shave off about a "quarter size" of magnesium in your fire bundle. This is not easy as I found out. I had magnesium all over the place and NOT in a quarter size pile. An easy problem to solve except I was very tired from walking uphill for 2 hours with a fifty pound pack on my back. Thank god for lighter fluid. I tried to submit pics but they are "too large" to upload.

goombla

Postby goombla » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:35 am

you should resize the pics, id love to see!

sounded like a nice experience!Couldnt help but chuckle at your chinese buffet reference.... :lol:

Return to “General Discussions”