I have decided to...

General discussions relating to the story.
pezar

I have decided to...

Postby pezar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 pm

...live in the wild. Well, not EXACTLY like Chris. I plan to buy a couple acres in Klamath County, Oregon, and raise chickens and rabbits, and grow veggies. It will be in a forested area though, and I plan on learning how to forage in the area. The river runs right alongside US 97, so I'm not sure if I can get away with fishing without a stupid license. I haven't been there yet to scope it out. I put an ad in my local phone book here in California advertising my computer repair services, and I hope to earn enough to make the move in a couple years. I decided against traveling-I couldn't afford to do it in a car, and I didn't want to hitchhike. I have a source for shipping containers made into cabins by a company in the Oregon city of Grants Pass, and plan to buy my habitation from them. It will be a little more comfy than the Bus, but not by much. I will also buy a metal shed for the animal feed.

goombla

Re: I have decided to...

Postby goombla » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:02 am

Are you set on doing this alone? I've been looking for a place like that to settle down on. I wouldnt be much help financialy, but I could deff make up for it in work.

pezar

Postby pezar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Yes, I'm set on doing it alone. Sorry. If you're ever around south Oregon, and I happen to run across you, I'll give you some food. I currently live in California, and this may take a couple years anyway.

goombla

Postby goombla » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:38 am

Only curious, why alone?

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, that's the best news I've heard all month. We both have similar plans but I'm a little ahead of you. I bought mountain property in 2001 in NC and I am now waiting for the loggers to log it so I can start my new homestead. They have until july of 2012 to finish. I like your idea with the shipping container converted to a cabin. I'm not sure which direction I will go with on shelter yet but it will be modest. It does take a lot of time putting things together for getting off the grid. Try not to let it discourage you. I am already 5 years behind but it will happen eventually. Don't worry about fishing. They can't patrol the water 24/7. This is the least of your worries. Like me, you need to worry about getting there and getting started. The rest will come later as you solve the problems of everyday living and continued sustainability. My plans have changed many times over the years due to education and trial and error. I'm sure they will keep changing but the fact that I am doing it will not change. One thing I have learned is you can be alone but you will need others to help sustain you through trading and education. My main source for living off the grid is Cody Lundin. Yes he is on tv but he is the real deal as far as living off the grid and being as self-sustaining as you can possibly be. He lives what he preaches/teaches, off the grid in a home he built underground. Check it out: www.codylundin.com.
After you buy the place try to get to know your neighbors because they are an invaluable resource on many local issues.
I may wander around in the winter, after moving to NC, to obtain more skills and network.

Return to “General Discussions”