Young wanderers die aboard coal train

General discussions relating to the story.
pezar

Young wanderers die aboard coal train

Postby pezar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 pm

http://www.theledger.com/article/20111214/news/111219591?p=all&tc=pgall

Accessed from a much shorter MSNBC article. For once, ITW and Chris seems to have had nothing to do with it. He was part of a group of friends who apparently were friends with some rail-riding tramps, and ultimately adopted the wandering life. He and his girlfriend apparently were laying on top of a heap of coal in a railcar, and died when the coal was dumped out of the bottom, falling the equivalent of several stories and ultimately being buried. The two were apparently unfamiliar with top loaded, bottom dumping commodities holding rail and road cars-the design can hold anything from coal to corn, and is used as a rail car or a trailer pulled by a big rig.

cmiamt2010

Re: Young wanderers die aboard coal train

Postby cmiamt2010 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Just read this article, very tragic. The article mentioned Artes once carried a guide that was created by his traveling friends about hopping trains, I wonder if it had mentioned anything on trains transporting coal. The story is a sad truth of the dangers of being a railroad tramp.

Moose200x

Postby Moose200x » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:58 am

Such a sad way to go. I bet they had one hell of a story.

innerspace70

Postby innerspace70 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 am

So the question remains. In their last moments did they find the answer they ultimately were searching for. If so then their life was a success in my mind. On the flipside if they were running from problems what a tragic end to it all...
Carpe Diem
-Inner_space_70

Return to “General Discussions”