slab city

General discussions relating to the story.
goombla

slab city

Postby goombla » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 am

Just saw a segment on the news about slab city. Must say, not at all what I pictured it to be. It looked extremely unhigenic. I mean, I can't excpect 5 star scenery, but damn, that place was so run down!! I can't imagine Alex having stayed there for all that time (even though he didn't exactly stay in that exact vicinity). Maybe its changed from all that time. The news said that there were over 2000 families there.
Just bummed, that it wasn't what I expected since I had planned to visit at one point.

Wedelen64

Re: slab city

Postby Wedelen64 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 pm

What was the media trying to convey in the news story? Let me guess, they are saying people are fleeing to slab city because of the economy. Since the story is about negativity (bad economy causing this) why would they put slab city under the best possible light? They want to make the story as depressing as possible because they have an agenda. This doesn't mean slab city is great or clean but I bet slab city is not as bad as they say. During the winter is when most people come to slab city. So winter is when it will look the worst. The point is talk to people who have been there and don't buy the media's 'spin' because they have an agenda.

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Well, I don't trust the media on this story (or most stories) and here is why. I went to "the slab city organization" web site:http://www.slabcity.org/history.asp. Here is a quote from their website:"The State of California is currently considering closing Slab City to the public permanently". On the surface they ran the story to show how bad the economy is but the underlying theme is really to show CA citizens how dirty slab city is and hopefully get the same reaction from them as the story got from you so the state can shut it down based on the "outcry" of Ca citizen. I also think the Alec Baldwin getting kicked off a flight for playing video games is bogus. I think this story was made up to promote the video game and Baldwin's sitcom. Do you really think an airline is going to mess with a big star? My source is: http://nashownotes.com/2011/12/na36420111211/shownotes, under "clips & stuff", "Lois on Baldwin.mp3". With that in mind please do your own research and tell me what you think.

goombla

Postby goombla » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Well your guess was exactly correct. All they said was emphasizing the fact that the economy is so bad that it has people fleeing to the slabs.
It focused on peoples stories who used to be wealthy, and lost it all and ended up there.

While it did mainly focus on the run down pieces of it, they did show a pretty nice church they had built there. One of the features was also a 12 year old girl who was really self conscious. She told news reporters of how embarrased she was to live there, and that she wasnt sure how to tell her friends at school were she lived.

That site certainly shows a better view of the slabs. Hence why i avoid the news :p

pezar

Postby pezar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Wedelen64 wrote:Well, I don't trust the media on this story (or most stories) and here is why. I went to "the slab city organization" web site:http://www.slabcity.org/history.asp. Here is a quote from their website:"The State of California is currently considering closing Slab City to the public permanently". On the surface they ran the story to show how bad the economy is but the underlying theme is really to show CA citizens how dirty slab city is and hopefully get the same reaction from them as the story got from you so the state can shut it down based on the "outcry" of Ca citizen. I also think the Alec Baldwin getting kicked off a flight for playing video games is bogus. I think this story was made up to promote the video game and Baldwin's sitcom. Do you really think an airline is going to mess with a big star? My source is: http://nashownotes.com/2011/12/na36420111211/shownotes, under "clips & stuff", "Lois on Baldwin.mp3". With that in mind please do your own research and tell me what you think.

That sucks that they would shut down Slab City. Unless they plan on putting barbed wire and an electric fence around the entire site, I don't see how they'll keep people out. I guess the free lives enjoyed by the residents are too threatening to TPTB. Actually, I'm surprised that they haven't used "drugs" or something similar as an excuse to raid it before now.

goombla

Postby goombla » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:05 am

I'm sure they'll be using drugs as an excuse soon. That was another featured topic when they discussed it on the news.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:39 am

goombla wrote:I'm sure they'll be using drugs as an excuse soon. That was another featured topic when they discussed it on the news.

The thing I don't get, if hat is an issue they can use to close something like the slabs, why aren't all the schools closed? How about the hotels? Surely there is more than a tolerable level of illegality going on there. Hell, just look at LA/Hollywood itself! I try not to, but, I do live here. lol.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Magic_Don wrote:
goombla wrote:I'm sure they'll be using drugs as an excuse soon. That was another featured topic when they discussed it on the news.

The thing I don't get, if hat is an issue they can use to close something like the slabs, why aren't all the schools closed? How about the hotels? Surely there is more than a tolerable level of illegality going on there. Hell, just look at LA/Hollywood itself! I try not to, but, I do live here. lol.

It's called the "pussification of america". It is the erosion of freedom so we can live in a "nanny" state. A state where the government knows best for us. Any place in america that is still truly "free" has a huge government target on their back. Look at these "Rainbow Gatherings" that take place in the national forests of our country. They are a huge government target and they continually get harrassed. Look at how "burning man" has turned commercial. They had a government target on their back and now the have "corporate sponsorships". Look at how "occupy wallstreet" was bastardized just a few weeks into the movement. Good bye freedom. Sorry if I sound too "conspiratoral" but I keep seeing this constant erosion of our country.

Return to “General Discussions”