Eustace Conway

General discussions relating to the story.
LiveYourDreams

Eustace Conway

Postby LiveYourDreams » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:35 pm

I recently purchased a book on a man named Eustace Conway and while reading it I couldnt help but draw comparisons between himself and Chris Mccandless. Have you heard of Eustace Conway and do you have any thoughts on him?

amststudent

Re: Eustace Conway

Postby amststudent » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:36 am

I actually just read about this book the other day when looking for books about nomads. How are you liking it so far?

LiveYourDreams

Postby LiveYourDreams » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Im finding it really interesting, i always love reading about those who have opted for an alternative lifestyle. Speaking of which, i have just finished a book called "autobiography of a supertramp" which is an incredible read, have you heard of it. I recomend it to all who are interested in books similar to Into The Wild.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:21 am

I didn't know the guy so far, but checked on google.
Honestly, I don't see many similarities to McCandless and his story. Ok, they both decided to leave the "normal" path at some point, but in very different ways, as far as I understood.
:?:

LiveYourDreams

Postby LiveYourDreams » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:40 am

Some may belive they cant be compared but personally i believe they have strong similarities. For example they both shared a passion for adventure, they both had great respect for nature and they both believed that there are some big problems with society. Perhaps this will be of interest to you - "At the age of seventeen, Eustace Conway ditched the comforts of his suburban existence to escape to the wild. Away from the crushing disapproval of his father, he lived alone in a teepee in the mountains. Everything he needed he built, grew or killed. He made his clothes from deer he killed and skinned before using their sinew as sewing thread. But he didn't stop there. In the years that followed, he stopped at nothing in pursuit of bigger, bolder challenges. He travelled the Mississippi in a handmade wooden canoe; he walked the two-thousand-mile Appalachian Trail; he hiked across the German Alps in trainers; he scaled cliffs in New Zealand. One Christmas, he finished dinner with his family and promptly upped and left - to ride his horse across America. From South Carolina to the Pacific, with his little brother in tow, they dodged cars on the highways, ate road kill and slept on the hard ground. Now, more than twenty years on, Eustace is still in the mountains, residing in a thousand-acre forest where he teaches survival skills and attempts to instil in people a deeper appreciation of nature."
Any thoughts?

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:48 pm

I looked him up and he sounds like the real deal and he is not too far from my property in NC so I may have to look him up at some point. It sounds like he has some skills I could use.
To me I thought his motivation to live off the grid was very close to Chris's. He just went about doing it a totally different way. Why would anyone want to do things "exactly" like Chris anyway? I use Chris as motivation but everyone has their own vision of freedom.

LiveYourDreams

Postby LiveYourDreams » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Exactly right, very good point.

GoNorth

Postby GoNorth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 am

LiveYourDreams wrote:Some may belive they cant be compared but personally i believe they have strong similarities. For example they both shared a passion for adventure, they both had great respect for nature and they both believed that there are some big problems with society.

True, but I think there's lots of lots of people like this in the world. ;)
I mean, I think I get your point, but still it seems to me that these guys have/had a quite different way of dealing with the whole situation: their need for adventure, or simply life in general. For example, my impression is that Eustace has done all this stuff much more "systematically" and probably without necessarily breaking too many laws. But of course, it's also difficult to compare the 2 persons in general, as Eustace lived much longer and thus had the chance to reach a higher degree of maturity.

cmiamt2010

Postby cmiamt2010 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm

The essence of how they wanted to live their lives, living off the land without any of the modern comforts are exactly the same, but they differ on how they went about it. Chris seemed to take a haphazard approach in living in the wild, while Eustace took a more studious approach and self-taught himself how to survive in the wild at a very young age. While Chris began experimenting living a 'tramp' lifestyle when he enrolled into the university

Return to “General Discussions”