really now

General discussions relating to the story.
goombla

Re: really now

Postby goombla » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Well how does one meditate??

Is it like an out of body experience?

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 pm

goombla wrote:Well how does one meditate??

Is it like an out of body experience?

No the opposite. It is in "inner" or "internal" body experience!The focus is on breathing and no other thought but the breath!

goombla

Postby goombla » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:51 am

Haha ill try that tonight while sleeping. What's the purpose though?

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 am

goombla wrote:Haha ill try that tonight while sleeping. What's the purpose though?

Like most things that are not easy, you would need a little instruction. You would start with some very basic, easy concepts. I would have you listen to what is called "guided" meditation. You would listen to a recording of a dude giving you basic instructions on how he wants you to breathe. Unlike most things in America, it does take work. It starts easy and then YOU are responsible for moving to the next level. It is all based on what you want. The more you focus your breathing the better the results. There is nothing "magical" or mysterious. It is what it is. I feel it may be my most important tool for being off the grid. Anytime I want to alter my mood (stress) and bring myself back to an emotionally neutral point I meditate. Image how this helps the loneliness of being on the road or on my farm. Not that I get lonely all the time but the longer you spend alone (after not being used to the loneliness of solitude) the more your subconsious will "desire" what was confortable in the past.

goombla

Postby goombla » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Soooo... It's for stress?

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:57 pm

goombla wrote:Soooo... It's for stress?

Yes, stress relief is a major benefit. It is for overall well being. To not let life scramble your brain. It puts you in charge of your emotions instead of negative outside influences because it trains you not to let the negative influences deter you. It is really about self improvement. I am happy to answer all of your questions on meditation but also feel free to google "meditation" and get others thoughts on meditation. I come from a martial arts background but most who do meditation do not and may have more experience with it than me so that is why I suggest you maybe google meditation as well as ask me questions. Different takes on the same subject are better for learning and openmindedness.

goombla

Postby goombla » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:57 am

Hah I'm kinda immune to stress and negativity. But I've always been intrigued by the body-mind peace involved with meditation. I'll deff be looking into it.

goombla

Postby goombla » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:13 am

OH! and i wanted to try and get some feedback from everyone here on this supply list I had for my trip.
Its quite a bit of supplies.... but every one of them seems nessesary to me.

GENERAL CAMPING:
-sleeping bag
-space blanket
-hatchet
-collapsable shovel
-Leatherman multi tool
-5-50 cord
-Bow+arrows
-light backback
-Hiking boots
-flashlight
-firestarter
-rain tarp
-waterproof matches
-collapsable fishing rod
FOOD:
-canteen
-rice/pasta
-beans
-jerky
-tuna
TOILETRIES:
-razor
-q tips
-toothbrushes
-toothpaste
-toilet paper
CLOTHING:
-few t-shirts
-combo of jeans and shorts
-jacket
-sun hat
MISC:
-Sharpie (for sign making)
-1st aid kit
-Bugspray/ sunblock
-1000 dollars for emergencies and dog
DOG:
-saddlebag (will carry most of his own supplies)
-leash
-collar
-food
-vet papers
-treats/ bones
-brush

SO MUCH FOR BEING A MINIMALIST RIGHT?!?!
geez!! i need some help taking quite a few items of this list!

i mean frick, chris went with less than 10 things!

goombla

Postby goombla » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:39 pm

I need helpwith that list guys!

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Based on what you said you wanted to do your list sounds pretty good. It's all about priorities. Water and shelter should be your first priority. Add iodine to your list for water treatment/first aid. You have shelter covered. Protection from hypothermia/hyperthermia, maybe a wool jacket/cap since, even wet, it insulates heat. A good carbon steel knife to go with multi-tool. A non-lubricated condom for carrying water in an emergency. A compass and toilet paper if possible. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Return to “General Discussions”