really now

General discussions relating to the story.
goombla

really now

Postby goombla » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:24 am

lets set something up for a few of us...

im leaving in june of next year guys. thats so much time to allow for planning and prepping.
who else might be interested in coming with?

Magic_Don

Re: really now

Postby Magic_Don » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:39 am

I'll say I might. I flip flop on what my life will be. Wandering the world, trying to find my place is one thing I keep thinking, but the idea of going it alone scares me a little. But, I couldn't say 100% yes to that, cause, well, I just don't know if I'd have the balls to actually do it, you know?
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

goombla

Postby goombla » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Haha isn't that everyone's issue? I understand. It's a heck of a decision! You have to decide your life path on your own. Just think where you really want to be in 5 years.

But hey, you got a year to decide if your up with going with me!

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:09 pm

At the risk of being a little offensive here, I've seen all of you guys talking about this for a long time and it kind of seems like either you're trying to convince yourselves, or you're waiting for someone else to say something or offer that one piece of support that gives you the resolve to make a change in your life. Now I don't know any of you or your personal situations, and I'm not even trying to tell you that getting rid of all your stuff and tramping as a life style would be a smart choice, but what I wanted to say is that it was Chris himself that said:

"You will see things and meet people and there is much to learn from them. And you must do it economy style, no motels, do your own cooking, as a general rule spend as little as possible and you will enjoy it much more immensely. I hope that the next time I see you, you will be a new man with a vast array of new adventures and experiences behind you. Don't hesitate or allow yourself to make excuses. Just get out and do it. Just get out and do it. You will be very, very glad that you did."

I took the liberty of placing the emphasis there on the end part. My point is that you won't be able to have someone reasonably or logically break down for you why you need to make that decision. It doesn't work like that. You have to develop the personal resolve yourself, and have the kind of abandon that will allow you to make the choice to live it.

It's not about why society has wronged you, or about the evils of what you leave behind. Believe me, if you plan on hitchhiking you are going to be more reliant on the system than ever before. The rides you get will be provided by people who either work for the money to maintain a vehicle, insure it, and fuel, or get their money from the government to do the same. They will be driving on roads paid for with the sweat of the working class. Ceasing to work and contribute does not solve any of society's ills. That's not what it's about.

It's about the adventure of not knowing what the next day will bring. It's about shredding your planner and just going wherever you wish and for whatever reason you feel. It's about the unpredictability of it, and there is no guaranteed success. Many of my friends have tried adventures similar to this. Some of them thrived, and some of them ended up back at their parents place broke and living in the basement til they could get a job at McDonalds. That's the risk you have to be willing to accept, and part of what makes it so thrilling, is simply that there is no guaranteed outcome. If that makes you uncomfortable to the point where you don't think you could enjoy yourself, then that lifestyle probably isn't for you.

Anyway, to wrap up: Realize this is a personal decision and something that you have to decide to do yourself. Also realize that the idea of a group of 3 or 4 male hitchhikers that have been sleeping in tents for weeks probably aren't going to get many rides. It's actually a lot easier alone. If you guys decide to do it I wish you the absolute best of luck and look forward to hearing about your adventures whenever you are able to recount them to us. If not, I understand that it's not for everyone, but in the words of Yoda:

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

goombla

Postby goombla » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks for the info, but the only thing holding me back is age.
I have no hesitation.
I can understand not getting rides with a.large group haha. I only want 2 people with me at the most. And of course my dog.

erikhalfacre

Postby erikhalfacre » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:24 am

Ron Franz/Russell Fritz (to whom that CJM quote was directed) was no youngin either ;)

In that same letter he says "You are still going to live a long time, Russ, and it would be a shame if you did not take the opportunity to revolutionize your life and move into an entirely new realm of experience."
Erik Halfacre - Moderator
info@pathfinderalaska.com
http://www.stampedetrail.info

pezar

Postby pezar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:09 pm

The only thing holding me back is an old debt that MUST be paid. I tried starting a business to "get rich" back when I was enthralled by the get rich quick gurus. The business failed, of course, and I'm a lot smarter now about listening to get rich quick promoters, but I still have one debt that bankruptcy didn't wipe out. It's in my mom's name. I have to pay it. I'm trying to pay it as quickly as I can, but it may still take ~18 months. After that, I'm gone. I will buy a cheap RV and head to the oil fields looking for work.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:12 am

I just reiterate, unfortunately, for me it's just taking that step. See, with me, I don't know what I want, where I want to be in 5 years. I never really have to be completely honest.

My life isn't great, it is stale, and stuck. I know, in the end, 99.9% of any change will be my own. No matter if it's tramping, just a simple move, new job, something.

I consider myself smart, able to adapt. But, at the same, I've never really been challenge either. I'm just waiting for that day, in my mind, where it says "go" I know it sounds stupid, but, I've lived the life I have for a very long time, so, it is comfortable. And shucking comfortability is a hard thing to do most times.

I do have June in mind, knowing that there is that chance to travel with someone like minded, whether it comes to anything or not.

I do have a question, someone brought up to me. Other than just setting out, do you have any sort of plan? Not an itinerary or anything, just, like staying in this area for the rest of summer, then move onto somewhere else. Just curious.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

goombla

Postby goombla » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:49 am

Hell yes I have a plan haha. This isn't some poorly thought out decision that occurred to me after reading the book, I've been formulating a trip for the last 4 years or so. It's just that as time has nearest I have started planning specifics in late April of this year.

I have all my supplies ready, totalling to over 30 items (which I must surely cut down). And I have a general map. While I could very well draw out every road and street on my atlas, I made the decision to go by a very general map to really add a kick of adventure. I don't want to be looking at my map and knowing EXACTLY where I'm going. There's no fun in that..

As far as time periods that ill be staying at places for, that is again something ill decide once there. If someone offers a place to stay for a while, then ill be more than glad to stay around a while. If not, ill simply keep moving.
I do want to try and get work along the way. Maybe at farms and similar things. Only to keep providing for my dog.

My plan is basically to see every state. Zig zagging north to south untill Alaska, and from there I want to find (hopefully found one on the way) a commune. I want to stay there for a while, and eventually break off to start my own commune-like establishment. More so what the boy from "My Side of the Mountain" ended up doing. Ofcourse that was fictional... But every bit possible.

How's it sound?! :)

goombla

Postby goombla » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:57 am

The edit button dissapeared on me, so ill add this here....

As far as seasons go, I do wish to be in the south for winters. So ill deff be following the birds with time. Starting in June is ideal for my plan seeing as by the time I go ul to Maine, and down to Florida I could coast down there for a while.

Return to “General Discussions”