Me Ranting.. again, lol

General discussions relating to the story.
Wedelen64

Re: Me Ranting.. again, lol

Postby Wedelen64 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:14 pm

It is the 'unknown' that you are referring to that will be with you even when you get off the grid. Fear of that unknown is what is keeping most of us from doing what Chris did (or close to it). We can spend 2 years, 5 years, 10 years planning but it is taking that leap into the unknown of being off the grid that will be our biggest test. Preparing and dealing with the unknown now will prepare you for dealing with the unknown when you are off the grid.
You are on the right track. Keep doing the little things to get ready and when you have done a lot of little things it will be time to move on to the next level. Right now frustration is the biggest obstacle of getting yourself ready. There will be setbacks, it is unavoidable. But if you keep plugging along and doing the little things, eventually you will see progress (that moves at a speed we hate, slow) but with progress comes success. You must be patient and ignore the negatives at much as possible. Again, if you cannot handle frustration now are you going to be able to handle it off the grid? Off the grid you may be in more control of your daily life but frustration could increase through no fault of your own. This is what I tell myself to keep frustration at minimum.

We do have 3 generations in this thread. Of course, I get to be the 'old' guy. I do not relish this but will deal with it accordingly, lol.

goombla

Postby goombla » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 pm

hey now, there are many benefits in being older. in fact the only thing keeping me encaged is age!

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 am

I know how you feel. I work retail, so, about 80% of the staff is under 25. I know I'm not old, but, there is a very clear generational gap between most of us, even though we do get along well. It's just funny sometimes.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

Lao Tzu

Postby Lao Tzu » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Magic_Don wrote:But, I can't fully quit, and give up on the classes, in my mind, because of the fear of the unknown.

Everything that lies ahead is unknown.

If you do not fear staying where you are and continuing to do what you are, why would you fear following your dream and doing something different?

Both are equally perilous paths, since the future is unknown.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Lao Tzu wrote:
Magic_Don wrote:But, I can't fully quit, and give up on the classes, in my mind, because of the fear of the unknown.

Everything that lies ahead is unknown.

If you do not fear staying where you are and continuing to do what you are, why would you fear following your dream and doing something different?

Both are equally perilous paths, since the future is unknown.

While there is great truth in that, the path I'm stumbling down now, for the most part is secure. I'll make x amount of money, have health care, etc. While boring, and painful, it's something more obvious. But, even just quitting that job, is an unknown. Something I want, but, need to be more mentally prepared.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

Return to “General Discussions”