Me Ranting.. again, lol

General discussions relating to the story.
Magic_Don

Me Ranting.. again, lol

Postby Magic_Don » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:08 pm

I feel this is one of the few places where there are like minded people, so, it seems ok to let off steam/rant a bit here, as long as it's sorta related.

So, you may have, or, might not have seen my other post, about the book, and my mindset afterwards. This is an extension of that.

So, as with most people, I hate my work. I really only do it to pay bills. Car, insurance, mobile, stuff like that. But, it really bothers me. I had put a plan in motion, no matter how slow that motion was, towards the beginning of the year with the idea that I would most likely quit on my 6th anniversary (Oct 23) and try to leave, and see what I can find in the world.

Well, needless to say, it fell upon me that that may not be a smart move, yet. Being somewhat out of shape, and really having very little survival knowledge.

Anyway, along that timeline, I started taking classes/training for something that's been on my mind since I was 17. I ran out of money for it a few months ago, but always planning on going back (which I do plan on starting next week)

Now, whether I'm good at it or not aside, it's a commitment that could keep me here for a while. 6 months at the very least, unless I can't cut it.

But, work is getting stupid now, making up stories. No one needs to deal with that, especially one who makes no waves. Just goes in, does his job, helps where he can, and goes.

But, I can't fully quit, and give up on the classes, in my mind, because of the fear of the unknown.

I'll have to cut this a bit short, as I have to leave. But, thanks for putting up with this rant!
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

Wedelen64

Re: Me Ranting.. again, lol

Postby Wedelen64 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Magic_Don, wow, I was reading your post and it was like I was reading my own words. I am in the same situation as you. I have a plan to get off the grid. Right now I work for a bank, I have 27 acres of North Carolina mountain property in the middle of no where and I will enroll in a survival course once I quit/ get fired (hopefully at Cody Lundin's survival training school).
That is a basic description. If you would like we can discuss/share ideas within this forum. Please feel free to ask me any questions about how I plan to 'pull it off'. Thank you for your post!

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 am

Nothing about that post doesn't sound awesome. All I have is a 12x15 room to call my own, my own prison perhaps. I know one big holding point, is my lack of survival knowledge. But, I try to tell myself, sometimes, would I rather keep the job I have, and work there, miserable, for ten years. Or, leave the job, live off the grid, or, mostly off the grid, for 6 months? It's tough.
Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth.

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:29 pm

So far all I have is a plan. It is going very slow. Some things I cannot control. Don't mistake me for some rich banker. I work mail and scan docs. Not very exciting or well paying but this mundaneness gives me time to plan my exit strategy. It may take me another 5 years to get off the grid. I may get laid off tomorrow and then my plan changes (again). You need 2 things to do what I am planning. Friends and fearlessness. So far I have one of the 2. I have friends. Fearlessness comes with education and I need survival education. I need survival education not to live off the land (for this is not practical in the long term) but to take away the fear. The fear of failing and NOT knowing how to live off the land to get by for a short time.
Try to start with the little things like getting yourself in shape. This will not only make you healthier but also happier. It is much easier to plan this if you are positive.
Again I feel we are on a similar path. Perhaps I am a little ahead of you but you can use this to your advantage by continuing to post.

goombla

Postby goombla » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:28 pm

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and Yet will take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which appear to give one peace of mind but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventerous spirit within a man than a secure future."... "Don't hesitate or allow yourself to make excuses. Just get out and do it."

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:28 am

goombla wrote:"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and Yet will take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which appear to give one peace of mind but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventerous spirit within a man than a secure future."... "Don't hesitate or allow yourself to make excuses. Just get out and do it."

This.

And yeah. Trust me, I saw banker, and assumed teller. lol. Nothing wrong with that, I have friends who are. But, it does seem we are stuck in the same rut, in different jobs. I work retail, which either means EVERY Sunday I have to scan 100+ tag, change prices. Then 2 trucks a week, and other than that, stocking products. 6 years now. It's enough. My position get eliminated/consolidated so I get to do 3 jobs, yet no extra pay, and 6 times the grief.

goombla

Postby goombla » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:18 pm

Geez guys how have you not left yet?!

Lol i wouldnt be able to stand shit like that. As soon as im 18, im bolting the fuck out of society.

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:27 pm

I worked retail when I was your age but was more interested in partying and chasing girls than getting off the grid. I am 47 now and I admire you for wanting something more in life. It took me 44 years to figure out that I needed to get out of this sick society.
It is time for you to start planning. The bad news is your plan may change several times. This is life trying to get in your way. Don't let the negative affect your resolve. You will have to learn to adapt your plan for the situation. Getting ready to get off the grid will train you to deal with the problems that will arise when you are off th grid. Life off the grid is not easy so you need to prepare yourself for some hardship. You will do this by dealing with the hardships that will come with preparing yourself to get off the grid. A part of this is learning to be a minimalist. You need to learn to live with less. That means, maybe, learning to live without cable tv,newspaper, a cheaper place to live or moving in with a friend, getting a car without a payment or living without a car(riding a bike). You have to figure this part out, I can only make suggestions.
Lastly take heed to goombla's words:" don't hesitate or allow yourself to make excuses. Just get out and do it".
Go to your favorite nature spot and start planning. Even if it is for only a couple of hours. Get used to being with nature.

Wedelen64

Postby Wedelen64 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Goombla, I appreciate your enthusiasm and your ability to pick up and go but, unfortunately, I can't just pick up and go. I have to tie up loose ends and have a long term plan so I don't wake up one morning at my sisters house begging for help because I just picked up and left. Believe me, I want to leave right now but that is not the smart thing for me to do. I have to spend the time learning to be a minimalist and learning how to thrive with very little. I have been conditioned and it takes time to purge the conditioning. This takes some training. You are lucky you have not been conditioned and I applaud you for figuring this crap out at such a young age. It took me 44 years to figure it out so 44 years of conditioning cannot be undone in a day.
Thanks for all of your posts. Looking forward to more.

Magic_Don

Postby Magic_Don » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Yeah, it's the hard times that stall me a bit. Mostly because of what I don't know will happen, you know? Trying to prepare for that unknown.

In the last 5-12 months I've started throwing out, selling, or donating a lot of stuff I don't really need, use, or want anymore. Still have a ways to go, but, it's far better than it was this time last year.

I should point out, I'll be 33 in December. So, I like that we have three "generations" in this thread, for lack of better words.

Return to “General Discussions”