What have you learned?

General discussions relating to the story.
chloeanne9

What have you learned?

Postby chloeanne9 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi there everyone! I'm kind of new to this site...actually, I just registered yesterday. I've only just begun to skim the surface of the posts on here, but so far it's been really interesting. Not a lot of people around where I live know about Chris and his story; it's neat to be able to see other people's thoughts on him and his ideals and the books. It's interesting...some people's theories that Chris might have been autistic, other's ideas about whether or not he really should be considered a hero....

Anyhow, I guess I wanted to start off with this question: What did you learn from reading/watching Into the Wild? What are the most important life lessons or ideas that you have taken away from Chris' story? What are things you have taken away that you can apply practically to your life?

For me, there are quite a few, but I'll try to keep it short:
1) My favorite one is a lesson from the end of the story: "Happiness only real when shared." That is so important. Chris realized towards the end of his life how important human companionship is. I guess I can just really relate to that quote...I enjoy my alone time just as much as anyone else, but I love people.
2)One thing that really stuck with me was the paraphrased Thoreau quote..."Rather than love, than money, than fame, than faith, than fairness....give me truth." I think after reading Into the Wild, I've become more inquisitive. I question the world around me and try to figure out the truth of things. It's important to hold on to that truth-seeking part of yourself. . . some of us seem to lose that part of our nature after childhood.
3)Always be prepared. This one seems kind of obvious, I guess. It's important to at least try to be prepared for all the obstacles life throws at you.

There are many more things I could write about, but I already feel like this is way too long! Plus, I have to go to church with my friend...So. Back to my original question:

What have you learned?
Think for yourself,Act for others

jlawson

Re: What have you learned?

Postby jlawson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:43 am

Hi I'm new to the site too, I'm very glad i found it, I come from England and there are very few people if any in my area that know anythin about C.M, its great to find a place to talk about. . . well everything :-) Ok i'll stop going on and on. After reading your post it got me thinking about not only what i've learned but more so what i've remembered. As you mention the parts of our nature we lose over time, the tale brought flooding back all the plans/dreams i had from several years ago (before life, bills, money etc got in the way) i'm not about to take off into the wilds exactly, but it awoke the feeling of freedom and appreciation of. . . well everything, i now feel more focused, more complete, finally snapped out of the trappings of the aforementioned issues! ok i'll shut up now, but just wondered if anybody else thought similar things. Regards Jon

genecross

Postby genecross » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:07 pm

I joined last year after seeing the movie on television. Before that I had not even heard about his adventure and untimely death. The thing for me that I learned is when my time comes I don't want to be lonesome and die alone. Everyone needs people in their lives. We all need our time alone but not all the time. Being with others make us happy mostly. His handwritten sign asking for people to help him near the end is proof even Chris needed people.

chloeanne9

Postby chloeanne9 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:25 pm

genecross- Great point! That's one of the things that I really liked about the story is that everyone needs people to get by. Everyone needs someone, and McCandless realized that at the end of his life(at least I would like to think he did. Like we said with the note and quote...)

jlawson- Yeah, no one in my area really knows much about McCandless either. Heehee it's okay to talk a lot, I don't really mind. I don't think I'm likely to take off into the wild on my own either, but I think that you hit the nail on the head. Over time, people seem to lose their yearning for freedom and new horizons, and it really is too bad. I mean, I'm not expecting everyone to go try to live in Alaska. But I think people need to learn to take chances and challenge themselves in other ways. :)

Thanks for replying, you two! I so appreciate it. :D Have a good evening or day or whatever it is where you are!

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:53 pm

so sweet you love it!

id say the will to follow your dreams/the important of people and nature are my most important aspects i learned from it, jah bless! :) anymore?

jlawson

Postby jlawson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:33 am

Replying was a pleasure, i must say its a great topic :-) you're totally right i think the problem is most people think of those 2 words CHALLENGE and CHANCE and retract, the folk here seem to have their comfort zones and rarely stray from them, the importance of possessions and material things seems to be the main drive, i'm not saying they are wrong exactly, i mean if its what you love doin do it! but they mostly seem unhappy, unfulfilled, bored perhaps? i just feel that if they did break out of their routines and step back, you know take a look at the bigger picture they would possibly\hopefully be happier! I'm from England, i'm intrigued to know where you guys come from, what's the area like? are you surrounded by the same kinda thing? thank you for your reply. regards Jon

chloeanne9

Postby chloeanne9 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 pm

JesusIsLove- That's important too, I think. It's good to try to do what you want to do with life, I think a lot of people feel like sometimes they can't follow their dreams because of the circumstances they are in...And nature is great! It's good to try to stay connected with it, or at least I think so.

Jlwason- Well thanks! :) Yeah, that's kind of what it is like where I live. I think a lot of people are really just...hmmm. I don't know. I think that they settle for things as they are instead of trying to do anything different with their lives. I mean, not everyone exactly, I don't mean to stereotype. But a lot of people never get out and see the world or try new things, and it's too bad.

And I'm from the U.S. by the way, in the northeast. I live in a pretty small town, but I don't mind it really. It's nice because I have neighbors, but they're not too too close or anything. We live out in the country and have about six acres of land and a pond and waterfalls across the road. So nature is pretty much right at our doorstep haha...and I think that's why I appreciate it so much.

Sorry again, I'll try to refrain from writing so much next time! I'm a bit of a talker :p

JesusIsLove777

Postby JesusIsLove777 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:46 am

wow chloeann, the northeast sounds freakin incredible! you must be so lucky livin in the country! :D im from the midwest in the city so its a lot different... but i still find ways to be in nature :D great post!

another thing i got from this movie, is that fear is a big proponent to why most people Do Not follow their dreams.. well Fear and Conformity i think are the 2 main reasons. Fear- people are afraid to branch out from the conventional lifestyle that society has so greedily placed into our hands. don't be brainwashed my brothers and sisters; a life of working at a job, living in routine, not doing what you love, then retiring from your job when you are too hold and too worn out to want to truly LIVE!.. thats a wasted life. life should be about passion, love, and changing the world!, not simply living in fear behind your desk of apathy, hoping to impact the world in some day, hoping to get the fire in your heart that you had when you were young.. we must stay young at heart forever :D

jlawson

Postby jlawson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:25 am

Hi thanks again for you're reply :-) and don't apologise for talking, trust me i could go on and on. . . that's cool to hear about where you live, spookily similar though, i live on what was a farm, now many fields forests and out the back of my cabin a lake its only like 4acres but the locals call it a lake :-) again i totally agree the presence of nature on your doorstep is So cool, i guess we are very lucky, i've never lived in a town or city, but find them fascinating, the hustle and bustle of people something always goin on everyone seeming So busy, but i'd never trade the quiet of the country, the peace the beauty and sometimes the total silence! Its something we all need, its good for the soul :-) J

chloeanne9

Postby chloeanne9 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Haha thanks :) Good point. I think people probably are afraid to break out and do things differently. However, some actually like the way their life is going with routines, and for them I think it's okay. I just feel bad for people that really want to do something differently with their lives but don't.

No problem! That sounds wonderful. I love forests and lakes...and our lake in my town probably isn't a heck of lot bigger than four acres, anyhow. Yeah I feel out of place whenever I go to cities. Everyone seems so busy and so rushed... I think it's neat to visit, but I could never live there. I don't like all the noise and business. I prefer the country...I think I like the sounds out here better. Like birds....I've never been to a city and heard all the little songbirds singing, and that's something I just love to wake up to in the morning. I guess it's the little things that make living here so much better. So...have you gone to college? And if so, what have you studied there? What do you and your friends like to do?

Return to “General Discussions”